Chapter 35 - No power on Earth

"Cas, come on, this isn't you!"

Dean couldn't believe what he was hearing, what he was seeing. Castiel, the angel of the Lord who raised him from perdition, was standing there proclaiming himself the new God. He killed Raphael in a snap and other angels, too, no doubt. He put them all in danger by bringing Sam back without his soul... All for this?

"The Castiel you knew is gone."

"So what, then? Kill us?" dared Dean.

"What a brave little ant you are." Castiel grinned. "You know you're powerless. You wouldn't dare move against me again. That would be pointless. So I have no need to kill you. Not now. Besides...once, you were my favorite pets before you turned and bit me. If you stay in your place, you may live in my kingdom. If you rise up, I will strike you down."

"Cas, come on, this is nuts! You can turn this around, please!"

Castiel glared at all of them.

"I hope for your sake this is the last time you see me.'

He disappeared, leaving the Hunters and Allegra alone in Crowley's little lab of horrors. They all looked around, expecting Castiel to suddenly reappear behind them again, but no one did.
Dean exhaled, unaware that he had been holding his breath this entire time. He faced Allegra and saw the terrible state she was in. She looked completely drained as if something had sucked the life out of her. From the looks of the dried blood and the cut in her shirt, she'd been stabbed too. The cut was healing, but Dean could tell it still hurt her. He walked over to her, putting one hand gently on the wound.

"You okay?" he asked, concerned.

"Yeah, don't worry." Allegra nodded slowly, her body still in shock from the trauma it suffered. "Lisa and Ben..."

"We got them out, thanks to you," said Dean quickly, not wanting her to waste any more of her strength. "Balthazar got your message and helped."

"He's dead. Castiel killed him."

Dean sighed. He had figured as much when he hadn't heard back from the guy. Allegra's eyes suddenly darted to something behind him, and Dean noticed her alarmed expression. He spun around to see his brother collapsing.

"Sammy!"

They all hurried over to him. Dean rolled Sam on his back as Allegra knelt at his head. She put her hands at his temples.

"Dean, it's - AAAH!"

Allegra released Sam to put her hands against her own head. Dean barely had time to catch her as she fell to the floor, screaming in agony.

"Alley! Alley, what's wrong?!"

"The angels! He's... He's killing them! No! NO, STOP IT!"

Allegra cried violently, struggling against his firm grip. Her body went limp, and she lost consciousness. Dean quickly checked her pulse. It was steady but slow. He picked her up and followed Bobby out, who was carrying Sam across his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. They had to get home as soon as possible. But the Impala was practically roadkill after the demons attacked them earlier. There was no way they could get... Outside stood a black van, just waiting for them. And next to the van, the King of Hell.

"You enjoying the scenery or something?" Crowley sneered at Bobby and Dean's confused looks. "Get your bums in!"

Bobby didn't hesitate a minute and dropped Sam in the back. He took Allegra from Dean and put her down a little gentler than he had Sam.

"Not that we ain't grateful, but why the hell you helpin' us?" he asked.

"I'm not helping you, I'm helping her, as per our deal. Oh, and give her this back too." Crowley gave Dean a golden blade - Allegra's Archangelblade. "I didn't care for the way Castiel was looking at this, so I hid it from him. She's no good to me dead."