Chapter 5 - What lies underneath

Allegra blinked a few times against the lights. Why the hell did they have to be so bright? She tried to move, but she was sore all over. A slight turn of her head was all she could manage. She was glad to see the blood bag was gone, but it was no good that she was still in the hospital.

I gotta get out of here. I need to end that son of a bitch and... Oh my God, Dean!

A memory resurfaced; Dean was in the hospital too. In the same room, even. But he'd been in such bad shape. The image of him hooked on that breathing tube clung to Allegra. She tried again to get up, but her body just refused to cooperate. Then, she became that somebody was talking. It sounded like... Castiel? And Dean! If he was talking now, the doctors must've removed the breathing tube. He was all right then.

"Is it true?" Allegra heard Dean ask with a trembling voice. "Did I break the first Seal? Did I start all this?"

She stiffened and remained perfectly still, listening to the conversation.

"Yes," said Castiel. "When we discovered Lilith's plan for you, we laid siege to Hell, and we fought our way to get to you before you..."

"Jump-started the apocalypse?"

"We were too late."

Seems to be a recurring problem with angels, Allegra thought bitterly. And who or what the hell is Lilith?

"Why didn't you just leave me there, then?" asked Dean.

"It's not blame that falls on you, Dean; it's fate. The righteous man who begins it is the only one who can finish it. You have to stop it."

"Lucifer? The apocalypse? What does that mean?"

Castiel must have tried to leave cause Dean suddenly yelled out.

"Hey! Don't you go disappearing on me, you son of a bitch. What does that mean?!"

"I don't know," said Castiel.

"Bull!"

"I don't. Dean, they don't tell me much. I know our fate rests with you."

"Well, then you guys are screwed." Dean's voice broke in defeat. "I can't do it, Cas. It's too big. Alastair was right. I'm not all here. I'm not... I'm not strong enough... I guess I'm not the man either of our dads wanted me to be. Find someone else. It's not me."

Allegra's heart broke when she heard him cry. She knew this would happen. She knew confronting Alastair would tip him over his breaking point. It was something she had been preparing for since the angels pulled her out of Hell, but Dean only escaped months ago. Of course it was too soon for him.
Castiel left, and Allegra was alone with Dean. She wondered if she should say something. Part of her wanted to leave him in peace. But she couldn't bring herself to it.

"Dean?"

The Hunter turned to her. Allegra thought he would be angry at her. But all she saw was relief.

"Hey." He smiled weakly, tears glistening in his eyes. "Man, you sure know how to scare a guy."

Allegra grabbed hold of the bed rail for support and sat up as best she could, ignoring the strain on her muscles. 

"You okay? I euhm... I heard, sorry."

"No... Not really." Dean slumped in his pillow but kept his gaze on her. "You should've left me in Hell."

"And miss out on meeting your charming personality? Not a chance."

He chuckled at her quip and grimaced then, gripping his side. Something must have happened to his ribs or so.