Chapter 18 - Aftermath

Somehow, Dean made it out with Allegra before the wildfire destroyed what was left. She didn't say a word as he carried her away from that godforsaken place and just withdrew into herself, just like she had when she found out about Gabriel. Only this time, it was so much worse.
When they got to Bobby's, Dean cleaned Allegra up as best he could. He changed her clothes and put her in bed, and asked Bobby to watch her whilst he showered and took care of his own wounds. Sam had left to go on a hunt with their grandfather. Apparently, that was more important than helping his brother and their friend. Dean vowed to tear him a new one when he got back, but Sam wasn't his priority right now. Helping Allegra was. 

But after three days, Dean didn't know what to do anymore. Allegra still wouldn't talk. She wouldn't eat or even touch anything Dean and Bobby brought up. She didn't sleep either. Every time she closed her eyes and seemed to drift off, she screamed out and cried. Only Dean could calm her then. He would hold her in his arms and say it was okay, that it was over. It helped a little. But Dean couldn't stop the nightmares. 
Allegra relived everything in her dreams. Every plague, every death... Guilt was tearing her apart. No matter what Dean said to make her feel better, Allegra only got worse. Her eyes got dark circles around them. Her skin went sickly pale, and her hair was a mess. Dean couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't watch Allegra do this to herself because of them. But so far, all he had was radio silence.

"Castiel... for the millionth time; get your feathered ass down."

The first two days, Dean was angry at Castiel for ignoring him, yelling, and ranting to the ceiling. Now he was just straight out tired and frustrated, and sank down in the chair at Allegra's desk.

"All those years protecting God's special Archangel... for what, huh? To discard her like some used-up toy when her batteries run dry? To laugh at her humanity? She's better than all you douchebags put together, and you know it! You don't deserve her on your team."

Dean sighed.

"I don't deserve her," he whispered.

A flutter of wings made Dean turn in his chair. He hadn't thought he would actually see someone, but yep, there he was. Castiel, the angel of the Lord, looked at Dean as if the Hunter hadn't been praying, insulting, and begging him to come for hours on end.

"Hello, Dean." He dropped Allegra's backpack next to her bed. "I brought this; she left it at the safe house."

He looked around.

"Where's the Staff?"

Dean had to resist the urge to get up and punch Castiel's lights out. The nerve the bastard had to show up like that! He didn't even have the decency to ask how Allegra was doing. Dean dug his nails into the chair to contain his anger.

"Took you long enough. Been calling you for days."

"We were busy," said Castiel, as if he actually believed it was a valid excuse.

"I'm sorry, you were 'busy'? Yeah, I suppose wiping a town out qualifies as 'busy.' Even if you're only the clean-up crew. 'Cause the real hard work is for the woman on the ground, right?"

Castiel met Dean's harsh glare but remained unfazed by his words.

"Look at her," ordered Dean. "Have you been inside her head lately? Do you know what she dreams about? If she shuts her eyes long enough to dream, that is."

The angel didn't move or respond to him but kept his head bowed. Obviously, Castiel didn't want to be confronted with the aftermath of what they had done. Of what he had made her do. Dean jumped up and pointed at Allegra's slow-breathing figure.