Chapter 42 - The chance to make it right

The Winchesters didn't read about any other plague-like killings in the papers or online in the next couple of weeks. So far, the Amazon massacre seemed an isolated incident. But it still freaked them out. Allegra hated using her powers to hurt people (though the Amazons were more monsters than people), yet she showed no restraint whatsoever. She used the plagues with the intention of killing every last one of them. To make them suffer. And the burned-out eyes... Allegra had never been able to do that. At least, not that they knew off. Perhaps the angels had shown her how to do it when she was with them in Heaven? Either way, Dean was worried.

"Is she answering any of your texts?" he asked Sam, turning the cup of coffee around in his hands.

"No, nothing." Sam shook his head and took a sip of his own coffee. "You still bombarding her with your thoughts?"

"I think she's blocking me like she does with the angels."

"Can you blame her?"

"Don't start with me, Sam! If you hadn't sent her that message..."

"Don't turn this on me, Dean. I'm not the one who cheated."

Dean returned the cold look Sam was giving him. He knew his brother was right that he was to blame, but it didn't change the fact Sam pulled a dick move on him. It just proved Dean's suspicions once more. Sam wanted Allegra. And he'd been dumb enough to hand him the ammo.

"Screw it." He snatched his jacket as he got up from the table.

"Where are you going? Dean, hold on! What are you...?"

"I'm going after her. You're gonna go back to the cabin and wait for me there."

"The hell I am!"

Dean turned around, the handle of the driver's side of the Impala in his hand. Sam shrank back at his stern gaze.

"Sammy, you're my brother, and I love you. But this is something I gotta do alone. I'm asking you to respect that. Also, if you don't do as I say right now, I'm gonna kick your ass, which is something you've had coming for some time now."

He sounded so much like his father at that moment; it even scared Dean. But it did have the desired effect. Sam scoffed and shook his head. 

"Fine, go ahead." He threw his hands up in the air. "Screw it up even more than you already have."

Dean didn't reply. He opened the door, got in, and turned the ignition. He drove off, not even looking back at his brother. If he had, he probably would've seen Sam take out his phone. If he had, he probably would've seen Sam typing. And he probably would've seen the devilish grin that very briefly appeared in the corner of his mouth.

***

Allegra groaned and ran her hand through her hair. Why? Just why? She'd been doing fine, and then Sam had to go ahead and ruin it with his text to say Dean was coming after her. Well, not 'coming after' like he intended to kill her or anything. But he was looking for her. Allegra had been resolved in her decision to never return to the Winchesters. She only kept in touch with Sam every few days, a bare minimum, to check up on him because of the whole Lucifer thing, but now... Every good and bad thing about Dean Winchester came flooding back. Every word, every whisper, every kiss, every touch... Every goddamn time he hurt her... Why the hell did he have to come after her now?!

After she left Dean with that Amazon kid, she'd gone to a church nearby. A nun approached Allegra when she saw her distraught face, asking her what was wrong. When she then asked if she still loved the man who hurt her despite all the pain he caused her, the red flags had gone up. Something about how the nun asked that particular question had alerted Allegra, and she exposed her as being one of Naomi's little minions. 
Under threat of her Archangel blade (and a few plagues), the angel sang like a canary. Naomi had sent the Amazon in an all-to-successful attempt to further alienate Allegra from Dean. But by this action, the angels had once again insured Allegra alienated herself from them as well.