Chapter 7 - Scars from the past

After her confrontation with the angels in the green room, Allegra really needed to recover. She checked into a motel close to the meadow where she escaped to (after makings sure the Winchesters were still alive and kicking). She slept for hours on end. All the while, the voices in her head grew softer until they were nothing but a slight murmur.

"Allegra, can you hear me? Wake up."

Allegra opened her eyes to a sliver to find Castiel sitting on the bed beside her. He had his hand on her shoulder. The one he touched when they got Dean out of Hell. Even after almost a year, his handprint was still pressed on her skin, a constant reminder of that day.

"How are you?" the angel asked. 

Allegra shoved him away and sat up, scowling at Castiel. She did not want nor need any of his crap.

"I realize you must be disappointed in us, but..."

"Gee, ya think?" Allegra interrupted harshly. "I don't understand, Castiel. Why did the angels allow this to happen? You guys had more reason than anyone to keep Lucifer locked away, and then you pull this on us?"

She scoffed as Castiel carefully avoided her judgmental stare.

"And you wonder why people lose faith."

A pair of sad puppy eyes looked up at her. She knew he was probably already ashamed of his and the other angels' actions, but that wouldn't stop Allegra from speaking her mind. Yes, she owed them a lot, and they helped her when she needed help, but clearly, it was only at their convenience and not because it was the right thing to do.

"You... should find Dean. You're safer with him."

Changing the subject, huh? Smooth... Coward.

"The Devil is walking the Earth, Castiel." Allegra sighed. "I don't think anyone is safe anymore."

"Maybe. But you are the one at risk, Allegra. Once Lucifer has his vessel, he will come looking for you. Dean is the Michael Sword, so he has some measure of protection around him. You must go and stay with him for now."

"Why would Lucifer come for me? And what the hell is...?"

"We have no time for this."

Castiel pushed Allegra, and the next thing she knew, she was sitting in the black Chevy Impala right next to Dean. He nearly jumped out of his seat, making the car swirl on the road.

"Jesus!" he exclaimed. "Woman, you have got to stop dropping in like that!"

"Like I wanted to appear in a moving vehicle! Goddamn angel..."

Dean frowned and scanned her over.

"You okay, though? What happened in the green room after Cas and I left?"

"Oh, let's just say Zachariah will be thinking twice before messing with me again."

Allegra glanced around the car, noticing someone was missing.

"Where's Sam? Is he okay?"

Dean's lips pinched at the mention of his brother.

"No idea," he answered curtly.

"You want me to find him?"

"No, I left him, I just... I had to get away. I can't trust him anymore, Allegra. I warned him plenty about that little demon-bitch, and he still..."

He tried to hold back his anger by gripping the steering wheel tightly. Allegra put a hand on his arm. She could've used her power to make him feel better, but in this case, it would've only masked the underlying problem.