Chapter 24 - Tensions

An angel blade... Sam used an angel blade on Allegra. But it looked slightly different than any other she'd ever seen before. It was more refined, well-balanced, and gold instead of silver. Allegra stared at the blood-stained knife in her hand as she sat on the floor in the panic room, just across from where the cot was.
After Death placed Sam's soul back and put up the wall in his mind, Allegra wanted to stay to keep an eye on him. Dean had insisted on her resting, but she kept saying she was doing fine. And she was. Her wrist had healed by now. There was barely any mark of the stab wound left (which was something she still needed to talk to Dean about). Allegra was fine. Totally and completely...
Not fine. Not at all. Her near-death experience had smacked her in the face. It had made Allegra think about a million things. Like how Angelblades couldn't kill Archangels. Correction; couldn't kill normal Archangels. But Allegra was half-and-half. A hybrid. A weakened version of the real deal who couldn't even get her mojo under control.

Every day she was alone in the panic room with Sam, Allegra constantly hit the replay button in her head. She went over every little detail she could remember. The weird thing was, the last couple of days, Allegra couldn't stop thinking about Gabriel. Like he'd been there somehow... which was impossible 'cause the bastard was long dead. 

The angel blade felt heavy in her hands. Allegra kept turning it round and round. She couldn't help but think about how it affected her. She'd been trapped inside her own body, unable to move, unable to talk, unable to see or hear. If somehow (and it was a big 'if' that Allegra was only considering because she wasn't a full-blood Archangel) the blade could kill the Archangel in her soul but leave her human half untouched, provided she was stabbed in a non-lethal way, then perhaps...
She sighed deeply and leaned back against the cold metal wall. The sound of Sam's slow breathing calmed her in some weird way. He was asleep, almost comatose, really. Her shield was around his soul, mostly to reassure herself (and Dean) that it was actually there, but also to allow it time to adjust to being back in his body. It made her even more tired than she already was, but it had to be done.

'As long as your soul isn't destroyed, you can't die. But because your soul is trapped in a human form, it can change, and that is their goal. Demons could reform it to their own liking, making you the greatest weapon in their whole arsenal. The part that makes you who you are will be gone then: your emotions, your memories, your very essence. Every bit of goodness that you have because of your human side will just cease to exist.'

Gabriel's voice rang through Allegra's head again. Sam hadn't lost his memories, and he hadn't technically been taken by demons, but the rest of it... He let Dean get turned into a vampire. He'd been prepared to kill Bobby and stabbed Allegra with every intention of killing her. 
A cold chill fell over her. She shuddered. Allegra didn't dare to think what she would do if she ever lost her soul. And if demons got control over it... They'd make her do unspeakable things.

Voices and footsteps made Allegra look towards the open door. She quickly wiped away the blood that trickled from her nose to her upper lip when she saw Dean appear. She'd assumed the one to follow would've been Bobby, but instead, Allegra was surprised to see Castiel. He stopped at the threshold as if he wanted her permission to enter. Dean paused for a moment, and his eyes flickered between the pair. He obviously forgot what happened the last time Allegra and Castiel were together in one room (but honestly, who could blame him?) and held his breath as it came back to him.

"I've wrapped my shield around his soul. It should help a little," Allegra said as she got up from the floor.

Castiel nodded and finally entered the panic room. He went over to where Sam was fast asleep and hovered over him.

"I'll lower the shield temporarily for you, but I'm not letting go. I sense you doing something shady, I'll have you chunking frogs and walking blind for a whole month, got it?"