Chapter 11 - Hurt him to save him

"Hey, can we talk?"

Dean had been thinking about his next move, remembering the promise he made to Sam about living a normal life. There was a way for him to have it, but he needed to make sure he wouldn't make the biggest mistake of his life first. If there was the tiniest chance the woman in the room at the end of the hallway felt the same way he did, then she would be his life. Even if he also felt something for Lisa, he couldn't ignore what he felt for Allegra.
So now, Dean found himself standing in the doorway, hoping she would let him in. Allegra briefly looked up at the sound of his voice. She shrugged, and he took a seat opposite her on the windowsill. She was writing something but closed her notebook before he could see what it was.

"You okay?" Dean asked.

"Fine."

"Hey, I'm serious. You were buried alive out there."

"I said I'm fine."

Dean drew back a bit at her snappy reaction. He tried to read her, squinted eyes wandering over her. Allegra sat with her knees to her chest, her hands fidgeting with the pen she'd been using and her eyes focussing a little too much on the notebook. It seemed like she was doing her best not to look at him directly.

"Allegra, what's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Bull. You've locked yourself up in here since we came back yesterday."

She tsk-ed.

"I just wanted to give you guys some time to grieve, that's all."

"I'm not in the mood for that crap. Tell me what the hell is going on."

Allegra kept quiet. If Dean didn't know any better, he would say she put her shield up around herself to completely shut away from him. But after all this time, he got a pretty good understanding of how that particular power worked, and it wasn't like this. 
Dean wasn't going to leave it at that. One way or another, she was going to talk to him. 

"Allegra, why didn't you tell me you're an Archangel?"

Finally, she looked up at him. Her lips slightly parted as if to ask how, but Dean beat her to it.

"Cas mentioned it."

"He shouldn't have." Allegra huffed and turned her head to look away.

"You're right; you should've. We're friends, Allegra. You know you can trust me with stuff like that. Especially with stuff like that."

Dean sighed when she stubbornly kept staring out the window. 

"I know Gabriel went to see you. You've been acting different since you came back, don't think I didn't notice. What the hell did the bastard tell you? What did you find out?"

But Allegra continued her silent treatment of him.

"Allegra, please..."

Dean moved to take one of her hands, but she quickly crossed her arms over her chest, closing up even more. 

"Stop acting like you're Prince Charming helping the damsel in distress, Winchester," she spoke in an icy voice. "We both know you're not."

The insult completely threw Dean off. Allegra had never spoken to him that way before. She was usually so... well, not this! She hadn't even asked how he was doing after his brother's death! This was not at all how Dean imagined their conversation to go. If anything, he had expected her to come to him. But she hadn't. 
Dean felt his anger rising. Anger and pain. How the hell could she do this to him now? Why would she treat him like nothing ever happened between them? Like they weren't even friends?!
His eyes fell on the notebook resting in Allegra's lap. What could possibly be so important that she prefered to write in that stupid thing? He acted quickly and snatched the notebook away, crossing the room with it to create distance between them.