Chapter 25 - Of dragons and virgins

By some miracle, Sam was okay. He was walking and talking like the past year hadn't happened. Literally, his memories of that year were gone. He didn't remember his grandfather Samuel or any of the cases he solved, going after Bobby or stabbing Allegra with the angel blade, nor any of the things he'd let happen to Dean. And they were all in agreement that no one was going to tell him. Everyone kept their mouth shut. 
Dean was surprised that even Allegra agreed to keep the past year a secret from Sam and even more surprised that she was joining them on this new case in Oregon. But he suspected she just wanted to make sure Sam's soul was back in place like it should be. No weird side-effects or stuff like that. Dean went along with it, and Sam had no objections either. And this way, he could keep an eye on her too. Because something was definitely up.

Dean constantly glimpsed into his rear-view mirror, but Allegra kept her head down so he couldn't read her facial expressions. She sat in the back of the car with several newspapers spread around her, looking up whatever she could find on the woman that had mysteriously vanished into thin air... from an airplane. The white headphones hadn't come off since they started driving. He remembered Allegra once telling him that if she really needed to concentrate, she listened to something classical with lots of strings and piano. In short, the kind of music that made Dean snooze for hours on end.
He thought it strange Allegra would need to concentrate on newspapers. He had noticed her unusually pale skin too. She hadn't been sleeping that week 'cause she was always with Sam. And then there were the nosebleeds she was trying to keep from him. Dean was worried Allegra was gonna crash at any moment.

"So, get this." Dean's head turned sideways when Sam hung up on the police officer he'd been talking to. "There were two other disappearances in town this week. Last weekend, a college girl vanished from her apartment - on the seventeenth floor. Then, three days ago, another girl didn't make it home from school."

"They know each other?" asked Dean.

"Nope. No connection. Just young and female, like the plane-crash girl."

"What would disappear a girl out of the sky, anyway?"

"Good question."

Dean's eyes flashed to the rear-view mirror again. Allegra lowered her eyes quickly, avoiding his gaze. Clearly, the volume of whatever concerto she was listening to had been silent enough for her to follow their conversation.

"So... you never even tried?"

Sam's voice pulled Dean back, and he gave his brother a quizzical look, not immediately understanding what he was asking.

"To go live a life...after," clarified Sam. "You do remember you promised that, right?"

Dean sighed. He had hoped Sam would've forgotten that bit as well.

"Yeah, I remember."

"So, why didn't you try?"

"What makes you think I didn't?"

Sam gave him an intent look, and Dean gave another sigh. So much for keeping the year secret... He really wished Allegra wasn't in the car right now.

"I was with Lisa and Ben for a year."

"A year? So then what?"

"Didn't work out."

"Huh..."

"What?"

Sam stole a sideways glance at Allegra before he looked over to Dean and continued in a more hushed tone of voice.

"I just... I assumed you'd try to be with..."

"Dude!" Dean quickly shushed Sam, and his eyes darted over to Allegra's reflection again.