Chapter 22 - Date with Death

"Dean, hi, i-it's me. I wasn't sure if you would wanna see me after... that day. Figured I should call first. I-I've got something on Sam. His soul, I mean. So euhm... call me when you get this? I'll... I'll be waiting."

Allegra pushed the disconnect button and dropped her phone on the bed. She fell back on her pillow, convincing herself she was doing the right thing for about the tenth time that hour alone. If there was any way she could do this on her own, she would. But she had no idea how to summon Death, except for one way. And for that, she needed Dean.
The phone vibrated at her hand, and Allegra jerked up. Her heart raced in her chest upon seeing Dean's name on the screen. She bit her lip to calm herself. With a deep breath, she answered the call.

"Hey... Dean, hi... i-it's you, right?"

"Last time I checked, yeah," said the voice on the other side of the line. "You said you had something on Sam's soul?"

"Yes, I euhm... I may have a way to get it back. But it's a long shot. I mean, I'm not sure it'll work. But we should give it a go 'cause if we don't at least try then...'

"Allegra, stop babbling."

"Right, sorry! It's Death. We need to talk to Death."

It stayed dead quiet, and for a second, Allegra thought she lost the line.

"Dean?"

"We just stopped for gas. We're three hours away from Bobby's. Meet me in the garage."

Dean hung up, not letting Allegra say or ask anything else. She sighed. Things couldn't go on like this. Bobby had been right about one thing; Dean deserved to know. The minute this was over, Allegra would tell Dean the one thing she was still hiding from him. And then she would disappear from his life. Forever.

***

Dean drove Baby straight to the garage at Bobby's salvage yard. He told Sam to go on ahead to the house because he had to check something on the engine. Sam shrugged and slouched over to the house. Dean watched him go, waiting until he was certain his brother was gone. Then he opened the garage and shut the door behind him.

"Allegra? You here?"

Dean was greeted by the familiar warm sensation he always had when he was around Allegra. By now, he knew it wasn't her shield. That was a different kind of warmth. This came from inside him.
His breath caught as the redhead stepped out from behind a rack. Allegra was more beautiful than he remembered, even though she looked exactly the same as when he last saw her. That green leather jacket she was so damn fond of. Combat boots, dark jeans, and a... God, a Zeppelin shirt, of all things! Her long shining red hair falling beautifully around her shoulders, framing her face. Those brown eyes with the golden twinkle (which Dean swore got brighter every time they met) and perfectly curved lips, full and red. Soft white skin. That faint scent of lavender... 
This woman intoxicated him. And she... she loved him. If only he could convince her that was a good thing. Because it was getting harder and harder to convince himself he didn't want her.

"You okay, Dean?" asked Allegra when he didn't immediately speak.

"I've been better," he answered. "I was good after we ganked Crowley, but Sam not wanting his soul back really killed my groove, so..."

"Wow, back up a sec." Allegra put her hand up to interrupt him. "You killed Crowley?"

"Well, Cas did, but yeah. One less demonic Don Corleone wannabe to deal with."

Dean thought he saw Allegra's eyes flashing over to the not-so-secret hiding spot in the floor. His instincts kicked in, and he looked Allegra over again. She had her arms crossed and remained at a distance. Self-preservation. Was she hiding something? Whatever it was, it would have to wait.