Chapter 64 - What is your deepest desire?

They met in the dark of night. The waning moon stood high in the sky, its light obscured by the slow-drifting clouds. There was not a sound to be heard. Not even the leaves crunching beneath their feet as they made their way to the edge of the grove, going as close to the house as they could get. The Cupid with the lavender-colored dress sighed.

"Still nothing." 

"Can you blame them for wanting to be careful?" reacted her companion with a dry tone of voice. 

"Yes!" exclaimed Amore bluntly. "Or no... But they know it's safe! It's been a month already since Manhattan. I don't understand what's holding them back."

"You don't get that your little barbecue trick traumatized Allegra? Really?"

"Yeah, okay, you can stop rubbing that one in. I feel guilty enough as it is." She turned away and gave out a frustrated grunt. "God, this sucks! Their love is so overwhelming; it's even making me feel..."

She gasped when she was suddenly overcome by heat. Once again, she felt the deep pull of passion that went on inside the house at this very moment. This was getting ridiculous, even for a Cupid who essentially thrived on love. Meanwhile, her companion just gave her an amused but sympathetic look.

"As I said, Allegra can't just forget about what happened to Eric, despite you bringing him back. Dean is - and I'm pleasantly surprised about this - respecting that and giving her time to settle into their relationship. They'll get there eventually. Just watch."

"Eventually isn't good enough. Every day that Allegra and Dean tiptoe around each other, there is still a chance for Sam to..."

"Sam isn't here. You're worrying about nothing."

"I am worrying about everything!" Amore snapped, her cheeks slightly flustered. "If Allegra and Dean take this final step, we are so much closer to having that prophecy come true! Michael will be assured of his succession, and we will all be assured of survival!"

"Can we please leave Mr. Holier-than-thou out of the conversation? Allegra and Dean getting it on does not mean that bastard gets a free ticket. Dean still needs to let Michael in, and Allegra needs to be willing as well. Frankly, I don't see either happening."

Amore stared at the dark-haired angel, who once again kept his gaze fixed on the spot where the house (supposedly) stood, hands in his pockets. 

"Then," she spoke, curiously but confused, "what is the point of all of this? Why have them be together now if not for the sake of the prophecy?"

"Because after what we did to her, she deserves to be happy. She deserves to finally have someone who will love her unconditionally. I would have thought that you, of all people, would agree with me on that."

Amore sighed. Of course, she agreed. She'd kept an eye on Allegra ever since she got back from Hell because she owed a favor and because it was her duty as the girl's Cupid. She stood a silent witness to every good and bad thing that had ever happened to her. Amore wanted Allegra (and Dean, too) to have a happily ever after more than anything. 
But still... prophecies come true, one way or another. Even if it him took years, Amore was certain Michael would escape the Cage at some point. And when he did, it would be more than convenient to have matters with his vessel well worked out already. He would only have to possess Dean once, after all. Just one time... and they would all be saved from the scourge that threatened to devour both Heaven and Earth whole.

"Maybe I could call in a favor for you."

Amore looked up at her former lover. 

"If it's such a big deal to you, I mean. A certain hellion still owes me for not killing her. And for giving her the wildest weekend she ever had."