Chapter 61 - Break free

If it hadn't been for Trixie barking, Dean would never have looked out into the backyard. When he saw Allegra sitting on the swing bench near the tree, relief washed over him. He opened the door, fully intending to run right to her and take her in his arms, but also yell at her for just leaving like that. But he halted right after jumping off the porch. He squinted and then gasped in horror.

Allegra was soaking wet. There were blood spatters all over her legs, going up to her dirty blue dress. Her feet and pumps were even worse, blood and mud sticking everywhere. What the hell had happened to her?! What... What did she do?

"Trix, stay."

The dog whimpered a little at his command but held back on the porch, her head hanging low and her eyes sad, while Dean carefully made his way across the backyard to Allegra. His heart clenched in fear. Whatever had happened, whatever she did, he promised himself he would make it better. Somehow.

"Alley? Alley, are you okay?"

She didn't answer.

"Alley, are you hurt?" 

Dean walked around the swing bench. He couldn't see any wounds, but there was definitely something. Allegra's eyes were brimming with tears. He crouched in front of her and reached for her hands, clasped together in her lap. She flinched at his touch but didn't meet his worried gaze.

"Alley, talk to me. What happened?"

Allegra sniffed.

"I euhm... I nearly killed one of the angels. Naomi, I... I told you about her, right? Sh-She sent the Amazon... and euhm..."

"Yeah, I remember." Dean didn't want her to go there. "But you didn't? Kill her, I mean?"

"No. But I... I wanted to." Allegra's voice quivered in suppressed anger. "I really wanted to. And I was going to, but then Amore came and... she... she told me she could bring him back."

"Him? Wait, you mean... Eric?"

"I didn't believe her at first. I thought she was just lying like everyone always lies. But... she did it. She brought him back."

Dean felt a lump in his throat. What was he supposed to make of this? Eric died about 15 years ago. Why hadn't they resurrected him before if it clearly didn't matter if he stayed dead? Had he been a bargaining chip in case Allegra went too far in her threats and actions against them?

"He woke up in the hospital near where the ranch was," she continued. "Amore made it so that he was in a coma all these years. She changed the memories of everyone who knew him, too. Eric thinks I died in that fire. He's... grieving, but... it won't last. He'll move on, and... and live."

Tears rolled down her cheeks. Dean got up to sit beside her. He draped a comforting arm around her shoulders and nudged her gently toward him so Allegra could rest her head against his shoulder. She was chilled to the bone and shivering. He had to get her inside as soon as possible to get her out of that wet dress and clean up.

"Dean..."

He looked down at her when she whispered his name. Her hands opened, and Dean saw a little vial in her lap. The vial.

"What are you doing with that?" he asked. "How did you...?"

"I knew you kept it in Baby's glove compartment. I took it when I left Sam and hid it in my old room. I'm sorry, Dean. I just... I wanted it all to stop. But, then Amore said she could bring Eric back, and..."

Allegra pushed the vial into his hand. 

"Take it," she said. "Please, Dean, just... hide it somewhere and never tell me about it. Don't give me the chance to even think about doing that again."