The Weird Man with the White Hair

~~~~Airis~~~~

The wind was blowing the cold winter air around outside as we sat warm inside of Mr. Aaron's house. As the new year began, different and new things followed through the days.

For instance, when I needed to, I tied my hair back with the white ribbon Mr. Zane gave me. There wasn't too much left on the spool, but just enough to keep all of my hair tied back. I would cut it, but Mama always said that young girls looked beautiful with long hair.

And Mama had long hair too, so I wanted to keep it long for her.

I kept my right eye uncovered by pinning my bangs back with either my iris hair clip or my white rose hair clip. It all just depended on what I was feeling that day. But in public, I always covered it. I was still nervous about some people, and I was afraid they would find me if I were to reveal myself too much.

I mean, a girl with blue hair is common in this world. But a blue-haired with a single black eye and a pink and green sectoral heterochromia is too rare for anyone not to notice.

I sat on Mr. Aaron's lap as we watched something on TV, a little cartoon about gems and warriors and a gem-human hybrid. I forgot the name, but it was interesting.

"So, aside from that, do you have any resolutions this year, Aaron?" Ms. Aphmau said.

"...not really." He answered.

"I kinda figured." Ms. Aphmau chuckled.

"What about you?"

"Well, I'm not sure actually. A lot of people were asking me that at the New Years party. I mean, I guess I'm gonna make my resolutions as I go this year, really. Usually when I make resolutions I set myself up for disappointment. But... I'm not gonna lie, they are pretty fun to make."

I smiled back at Ms. Aphmau. She seemed to be taking life for what it was.

"One should always look to improve themselves as they live their lives." Mr. Aaron said, then looked down at me, "Take a look at Airis, she's improving her social skills by showing everyone her right eye. Ans it's only been a couple of since the new year began."

"Yeah, good point." All of a sudden, my stomach let out a loud growl. My face blushed red at the sudden sound. I had remembered that I kind of skipped lunch, since I had a huge helping of pancakes this morning.

"Airis, are you hungry?" Mr. Aaron asked.

I looked away in embarrassment and Ms. Aphmau laughed.

"I think we all could eat." She said.

"Do you two wanna go out to eat?" Mr. Aaron asked.

I smiled and nodded. I haven't been to a public restaurant before. I've always wondered what those places were like.

"I guess that's a yes for Airis. So, Aaron, where do you wanna go?"

"I have no preference. I do know you want to go to Olive Garden though."

"What? What are you talking about?" Ms. Aphmau asked as Mr. Aaron walked around the kitchen.

"You were talking about it the other day. We haven't been there since you moved so... I mean if Airis is okay with that place, too, then we can go."

"Hmm. Olive Garden does sound good. What do you say, Airis?" Ms. Aphmau asked me. I nodded happily, wanting to go out somewhere new.

Ms. Aphmau chuckled, "Okay then. Olive Garden it is. But first, I have to go to the bathroom really quick. Airis go ge-"

The doorbell ringing stopped Ms. Aphmau from saying anything else. The three of us went to the door and answered it. On the other side were Mr. Laurance, Mr. Garroth, and a stranger with white hair and green eyes.