Tree Picking with Derek Lycan

Aaron paced around in the bedroom he and Aphmau shared, both nervous and scared because of the other night. Last night, not only did his sister and mother appear on their doorstep, but his father came to their home as well. It was so shocking to Aaron and he didn't know how to handle the situation.

"Aaron, don't worry. It's fine." Aphmau said trying to calm him down. Airis, who was sitting in Aphmau's lap, just watched the scene with curiosity. She had never seen her father acting so worried about anything.

"How could I not worry? This is my dad we're talking about! Honestly, when I saw Mom and Melissa I kinda figured that he wasn't going to show up, but then, he did!" Aaron said.

"Which is great, isn't it Papa?" Airis asked.

"Yeah, it's great... If I had time to prepare!!!"

"Huh?" Aphmau questioned.

"My dad..." Aaron sighed, "I haven't seen or talked to him in such a long time. I don't know what to prepare you two for."

"Hey, Aaron... however you dad is, I'm sure he's fine. Besides, it's the holidays! Holiday magic is sure to make him at least somewhat pleasant!"

Aaron chuckled, "It's sweet of you to think that way but--"

"A ba ba! Holiday magic!" Aphmau cut him off.

"Mama, Papa, we should go downstairs before Abuela and Mrs. Lycan kill each other!" Airis smiled and hopped off of Aphmau's lap, grabbing Aaron's hand and pulling him towards the door.

"Airis has the right idea. Let's get going and spread the holiday magic!" Aphmau agreed and led the way downstairs. 

When they got downstairs, the three could see their parents and Melissa sitting in chairs in the living room while Aaron's father was standing in the corner talking on the phone with an associate with his company.

"So!" Sylvanna said clearing her throat to speak, "It's wonderful that you came, Mr. Lycan."

"Please, call me Derek." Mr. Lycan said.

"Oh, I'm afraid I don't know you that well to feel comfortable with that." Sylvanna replied with a nervous chuckle.

"Figures." Rachel said, "Can't take a simple kindness, I see?"

"What did you just say?"

"So, Dad!" Melissa cut in to stop a fight before it could even start, "I'm actually really shocked you managed to make it! How did Aphmau get in contact with you?"

"She sent me a handwritten letter."

"A letter?" Rachel and Sylvanna both questioned while Melissa smiled and giggled.

"That's kind of old fashioned, isn't it?" She asked.

"Well, yes... but..." Derek thought back to the kind words written in the letter from Aphmau, and all the glitter that had been sent with the letter, "Maybe it was the glitter, which I was kinda mad about for a while, but I was moved by the simplicity of the letter andI realized I wanted to give Aaron a bit more of my time. At least for a day or two. Plus, I was curious about the little girl he was taking care of as his daughter."

Airis couldn't help but smile as she listened to the way he was talking. He wasn't much like Aaron, but from the feeling she got from him, he was trustworthy and had a willingness to change.

"Well, I'm happy dad!" Melissa said, "I'm sure Aaron is too, and I bet Airis will be happy to know that you wanted to get to know her a little better."

"And you're sure this isn't some kind of ploy to take Aaron away from my Aphmau and Airis?" Sylvanna asked.