The Staff of Aine

The town of Aine continued on its prosperous tides, continuously using Livana's power to keep everything healthy and well. Livana had continued with this life, knowing that if her land had died, she would be blamed for it and her father would have done horrible things in his outrage. Her happiness and freedom in exchange for the peace in her land. That was what she wanted mot in her life. Well, I suppose not completely. There was one more thing that she wanted more than the peace of her land: The peace of a family that loved her and not her power.

Livana sat in the gardens, waiting for her dear friend Zivon, the only person that she allowed into her heart. He had been by her side for the longest time, and never once did he ask her for anything ranging from using her power to taking any kind of payment for his company. He genuinely wanted to talk to her, to be with her. And he continued like for many years.

Today, Livana has turned seventeen, and she smiled at the wonderful things that have happened to her over these years... and unfortunately, all the terrible and sad things that happened throughout that same time. She had experienced loss in the form of her mother, who passed away when she was ten years old, and she died because of her father's greed and selfishness.

Livana's mother was severely ill from a young age, it was amazing that she survived childbirth much less living past her teenage years. And yet, it was a terrible cold that took her from this world. Livana wanted nothing more than to help her, to save her mother, but her father refused to let her. His words were "the weak need to be cut down so that the strong can be spared". It sickened her and Livana tried to fight to save her mother, but by the time she could rush to her side, it was too late. She had already died. From that moment on, Livana continued her work, but secretly despised her father for his evil ways and wicked desires. And even her dreams continued confusing her. Day after day the dreams would become clearer and clearer.

The white gown, the clean locks of shining hair, the pearl and crystal crown on her head and the diadem hanging of her forehead. That was all Livana could see. She never saw her face, but it always felt like that strange woman in white was trying to tell her something with those dreams.

"Livi!" A voice echoed from the secret entrance in the walls. Livana knew the nickname, and there was only one person that called her that.

"Zivon." Livana said happily as the young boy climbed through the hole. It was surprising that it never got fixed, but the flowers and bushes hid it well. Zivon smiled as he entered the gardens, revealing himself to his kindest and oldest friend.

Livana couldn't help but blush at the sight of her friend as he had certainly grown more handsome and kind over the many years. His dark hair, now slightly longer, was tied into a short ponytail at the nape of his neck. He wore nicer clothes because of his father's booming woodwork business, which started receiving even more and more offers after showcasing his work at a large art festival. His style of carving became popular and Zivon was praised as a great student under his father. Since then, he traveled a little more to other regions and towns, coming back to tell her about his travels and bring her wonderful gifts from his trips.

Livana adored the stories he brought to her and it made her want to experience the same life that he did. She wanted to be set free from the cage she was born in. And she had an idea of how to do it.

Zivon happily hugged her and she did the same, the two holding each other tightly for a few moments before they parted and smiled together. Zivon reached into his pocket and pulled out a beautiful necklace. It was on a silver chain and the pendant itself was a sparkling purple gemstone that changed colors in the full moon's light. Just looking at it made you think that you were staring into the heart of the universe. She couldn't believe how beautiful it was, and it was unexpected of him. The past gifts that he had given her were small glass figures or handmade wooden sculptures of past gods and goddesses, one of which was strikingly similar to her.