Crimson

Airis couldn't feel the biting snow hitting her face, she didn't care nor was she paying attention. Her mother, Aunt, and Uncle were taken away by a man she had hoped to never hear or see again. And with the color of their eyes and the existence of forever potions being revealed, it was far more important to get them back before things got too dangerous.

"Young one." The wolf she rode on, named Yukisa, said, "We're going to get your mother back. I promise you that."

"I know, but I can't help but wonder if things will turn out like with Mama and Papa. What if.... what if everyone gets hurt and I can't do anything to help them?"

"Do not say such things, Child." The voice, "Your doubt and fear is exactly what he wants. Do not give in and instead, have the courage to face him yet again. I am sure he will be more cautious around you, especially after what you had done to him the last time you saw him."

Airis remembered that day clearly. The day she escaped and this stranger and her captor ran after her. 

"Airis!" Aaron's voice brought her out of her thoughts. She looked down from the wolf's back and saw Aaron and Garroth running by her side.

"Are you sure that you're safe on that wolf?" He asked.

Airis nodded and gripped Yukisa's fur tighter, "I'm perfectly safe on her back, Papa, don't worry. She couldn't hurt me even if she wanted to. Yukisa is bound to me. She's here to protect me. I'll tell you more when we rescue everyone."

Aaron and Garroth were even more confused than before. First, their friends all get taken away by something, placed under a kind of spell by someone. Then, Airis gets on a large white wolf, runs off on its back and tells them that this wolf is to protect her? One couldn't even try to imagine the chaos in their minds at that moment.

Nevertheless, they continued running, the wolf slowing down her running speed so that they could keep up with her. They ran and ran, panting with the bite of the icy cold air freezing their lungs, but they couldn't stop. Not until everyone was safe.

Eventually, they had to stop, even Yukisa was panting hard from the strain of running despite her size.

"Airis! Aaron!" Garroth shouted as he caught up to them, "The storm is getting worse, we need to turn back!"

"We can't do that, Uncle Garroth!" Airis shouted, "Who knows what may be happening to everyone!"

"Airis, I understand that you're worried, I'm just as terrified as you are, but we'll never be able to find them! Lucinda used a spell! There's no way on Earth we can track them down. I care about them, too, but we're no use if we freeze to death!"

Garroth kept trying to talk Aaron and Airis from going any further, but they couldn't hear another word. Aaron was focused and determined, just the same as Airis.

"Young one, why don't you track the residue of Lucinda's magic?" Yukisa said, but Airis silently sighed.

"I would if I knew exactly the nature of her magic. Auntie Lucinda was using a spell that I'm not used to, and besides, the potion used on her made her magic become warped, it's spread all over the forest. I need time to find the right source." Airis thought. She sniffed the air, getting the smallest amount of Aphmau's scent. Just as she caught the scent, she heard a heartbeat. A very familiar one.

"I can hear her!" Aaron and Airis shouted at once.

"She's this way." Aaron said.

"Yukisa, let's go!" Airis said and they ran off with Aaron, Garroth following quickly behind them.