Potion Making

It had been a few weeks since New Years. And Airis could not be happier. She had been adopted by a woman who was always so sweet and kind to her. Someone who reminded her of her own mother, but was different at the same time. 

Airis' biological mother was kind and sweet, just like Aphmau. But Aphmau was more energetic and whenever she saw something she loved, she always made it funny with the way she would overreact. And at night, Aphmau never failed to tell her that she loved her with Aaron by her side.

And Aaron was as much of a father as Aphmau was a mother to her. He was always smiling whenever she called him Papa, and he never failed to show Airis how much he loved her with tight hugs. 

Airis could have never imagined that she would feel so much love in her life again, and yet here she was, surrounded by an even bigger family than she could have possibly imagined.

At the moment, Aaron was holding Airis' hand as they walked to a little potion shop nearby. Airis didn't understand why he was looking for a new job, but she didn't ask since she could sense that Aaron was planning something big. She didn't want to ruin the surprise, of course, so Airis never asked about the reason.

"I think this is it, Airis." Aaron said, stopping in front of a small magic shop, "Assistant wanted for various tasks in magic shop. Good pay and flexible hours...."

"This looks like a nice place, Papa!" Airis said, though her hand was shaking and she was clutching Aaron's hand tighter than normal. Aaron noticed her tension, but kept smiling at her to help ease her nerves.

He remembered how she reacted to potions when she got sick, how terrified she was of a simple potion. But seeing how Airis was actively going with him to a magic shop, which would most likely have potions, he thought that this was her way of getting over that fear.

"Well, here goes nothing." Aaron said, taking Airis and walking into the magic shop.

As they walked into the shop, Airis couldn't believe the kinds of herbs and ingredients that hung from the walls and ceilings and the jars filled with strange objects that sat on the shelves. It reminded her of her mother's workshop, but all the things in the shop were.... they weren't as strong as the one that her mother used.

"Is anyone here?" Aaron called out.

"Welcome mortal, are you here to apply for the job?" A voice said from the back room.

"Yes." Aaron answered.

"Do you realize what you're getting into? It will be tough." 

"Bring it! I need this job for my girlfriend and daughter." Aaron said.

"Wait, that voice sound familiar." Just then, Lucinda came out of the back room and smiled at the two.

"Auntie Lucinda!" Airis smiled and ran over to Lucinda before hugging her tightly.

"Hey there, little cutie." Lucinda smiled and picked Airis up, "I thought it was you, Aaron."

"Lucinda?" Aaron questioned, surprised to see his friend at the shop.

"The one and only!"

"What are you doing here?"

"Heh, this is my shop and I own it..." Lucinda chuckled, "Really I should be asking you that question. I though you were working at the maid cafe. Did you quit?"

"Uhh, no, I still work there... I'm just looking for an extra job on the side."

"Any particular reason why?" Lucinda asked, "You said it was for your girlfriend and daughter, so it's for Aphmau and Airis, obviously. Is everything all right?"