Chapter 30

"Thanks for helping, 'mione" Luna smiled. "I'll tell Neville right away."

"It was nothing; I'm happy to help" Hermione smiled. "By the way, what is going on between you two? You seem to have grown rather close with each other."

Luna blushed and hid behind the large novel in her hands. "It's nothing... We just spent a little time together during Christmas break last year and found some common interests" she peeped nervously.

"Does one of those interests include romantic feelings for one another?" Hermione smirked.

"Hermione!" Luna scolded. "Don't say stuff like that; and besides... I could ask you the same thing."

"What are you talking about?" Hermione frowned.

"You and Parkinson" Luna stated. "You guys seemed to have gotten pretty close too; not to mention the way she looks at you."

Hermione blushed and looked down at her feet. "Okay I'll stop with the Neville thing-"

"- what Neville thing?" Pansy asked as she approached the two girls.

"Nothing" Luna smiled nervously. "Anyway, I need to get going... I'll see you two around."

Hermione stared as Luna quickly ran off towards the great hall, leaving her with Pansy and an uncomfortable aura.

"Hey, can we talk?" Pansy asked with an awkward voice. "About what happened a few weeks ago... You know, next to the school while Draco was at the manor."

Hermione stiffened her posture and looked at the Slytherin. She had to admit that they had been avoiding the subject for an unreasonable amount of time — and this only caused unnecessary tension to form among the group.

"Very well" Hermione nodded.

Pansy let out a sigh of relief and gestured for Hermione to follow her, slowly leading her out the school as she talked.

"You were right about everything, 'mione. I didn't tell you - or anyone else - about anything, and then lashed out on you when things didn't go my way... I'm really sorry; and you had every right to be upset."

"No, it's my fault too. It was none of my business, and I shouldn't have tried to get involved when you obviously weren't ready to talk to us." Hermione shook her head. "So, I'm sorry too. Do you think we could put this all behind us and start over?"

"That's the first thing we've agreed on in weeks" Pansy chuckled. "And speaking of ' starting over '... I also have something else to say to you." She blushed.

"Oh yeah?" Hermione smiled mischievously. "And what would that be? Are you finally going to accept my offer on helping you study?"

"No- I actually forgot about that" Pansy admitted. "I actually... Uh- well" she stuttered over her words.

"Merlin, Parkinson" Hermione snorted. "By the way you're acting it seems like you're trying to confess or something."

Pansy stayed silent for a moment; but once Hermione realized that the Slytherin was making no further effort to talk she stopped laughing.

"Oh gods" Hermione blushed. "I just ruined the whole moment, didn't I...?"

"Well..." Pansy smiled. "Look, 'mione, I really like you. You are the most amazing girl in this entire school- no. The most amazing girl I've ever met. I know I've been giving you a hard time, and sometimes I can be unreasonable..."

"A bit of an understatement, but go on."

"You're not making this any easier."

"What can I say? I'm just returning the favor."