Chapter 49

Heyyy, guys and gals and all the lovely non-binary pals, how are you all doing?

Are you hydrating? Are you taking care of yourself? Do you need me to come make you a cup of hot chocolate and pancakes?

I'm really sorry for not updating. I feel like I'm saying this every single time, but that's okay. I wanted to actually say something because I felt like I had to, but I don't know what to say or tell you so...
Hi. Again.

*internal crying and confusion engaged*

Happy reading!!

• • • • • • • • • •

Draco and Harry walked down towards the lake, their hands itching to clasp together for comfort. Almost like they needed some reassurance that this wasn't going to end up in a complete shit show.

The wind was whisperings softly through the overgrown grass as they sat down against a nearby tree. Watching the sun shiver against the surface of the lake, Harry cleared his throat. "What did you want to talk about?"

Not that he really needed to ask. He already had an idea about where this was going - if the past few months had been any indication.

Draco seemed reluctant. Maybe even downright terrified. And this wasn't far from the truth. What if Harry decides to end it if I tell him?

What if he hates me?

Will everything go back to the way it use to be? Last names, pathetic insults, scowls...?

No. Draco shook the thoughts out of his head and turned to look at Harry, who was already staring at him intently with that stupid look of worry that was constantly plastered on his face. Nothing can go back to the way it was.

"There's something that I need to tell you" Draco finally answered.

"Well go on then" Harry tried to smile, but that just seemed to make Draco even more nervous.

This wasn't the kind of butterflies Draco could pretend to hate. "Please just know that if I had a choice in any of this, I wouldn't have done it. Not ever" Harry nodded in understanding, but didn't answer. "Remember when I went to the mansion during the bound - when I had to leave so suddenly?"

Harry nodded again; his suspicions only being confirmed with each passing second.

"Well something happened" The Slytherin shuddered. "When I got there, someone- I- Fuck" his eyes shut in guilt. "I'm so sorry, Harry."

Harry swallowed the lump that formed in his throat and motioned to put an arm around Draco, pulling him closer and whispering, "it's okay, Draco."

"No it's not" Draco sniffed, failing miserably to keep himself from crying. "Nothing about this is okay. If I had just said no, then you and the others wouldn't be-"

"- Draco, stop" Harry shook his head gently. "I know what you're going- trying to tell me."

Draco stiffened in Harry's arms and pulled away, his eyes wide and watery. "What...?"

Harry sighed. "I know about Voldemort and the mark. I know about the vile and Theodore" Draco seemed to go numb at his words; and Harry could feel his heart breaking at the hopelessness that swarmed in Draco's eyes. So Harry quickly motioned to cup Draco's cheek. "And I know that you wouldn't have done this if you had a choice in the matter."

"How did y-"

"-Dumbledore."

"He knew?" Draco spluttered. "And he didn't bother to do anything about it?"