thirty eight

"We are afraid of the enormity of the possible."-E.M.C

Song for this chapter: Haunted by Taylor Swift

.

.

"What'd he mean by that?" I asked when we got into the car. "Does it look like I know?" Harry snapped as he quickly pulled out of the parking lot, hardly giving me time to put my seat belt on. "Slow down." I said with widened eyes. 

"We need to leave town. I told you we shouldn't have come back." He seethed. "We can't run from this forever, Harry!" I yelled. "You'll die, Crystal." He said with a deadly glare. "I can't just run my entire life." I sighed.

"Why can't we do anything?" I questioned. "He's older than me, therefore stronger than me. It's only me. I have no idea how many others he has working for him." Harry explained with a tight grip on the steering wheel.

The trees passed by us as Harry went a good 20 miles over the speed limit. "You need to slow down." I said calmly. He didn't respond and the gauge didn't go down, so I think he chose to ignore my pleads and continue as he was.

"Where are we going?" I questioned as I gripped my seat belt tightly in my hands. "To your house to get your things then we're leaving." He said and I sighed. I knew I couldn't fight him on this and I knew it was only a matter of time before leaving again.

The only sound until we got back to the house was the hum of the engine and the slight rain fall on the windshield. He pulled into the driveway and left the engine on as we both climbed out of the car. The rain had picked up and was now on the verge of a down-pour.

"Go get your things and I'll come and get you in 15 minutes." Harry demanded and began walking away. "Wait." I said and he turned around. His eyes were blood red. "Where are you going?" I asked, trying not to sound scared.

"To hunt." He said and in a flash he was gone. I was soaked by the time I got the front door opened. I locked the door behind me and went up the stairs and into my room. I sighed as I pulled out my suitcase, repeats of the last time going through my mind.

I packed more than I did last time. More essential stuff that I wish I had brought last time. I gathered my bathroom supplies and threw them into a smaller bathroom bag. I plugged my phone into the charger and sat on my bed as it charged.

I combed through my hair with my fingers before pulling it back into a ponytail. I just wanted to sleep. We had only been back for a few days and everything already went to hell. I was unbelievably stressed out and I just wanted to sleep until this was all over.

The rain was pounding on the roof and lightning flashed through my window multiple times. Why did Harry have to go hunting in the middle of a storm? Do vampires get cold? Could they get sick? What's going on?

My stomach was building with worry at every thought running through my head. I was convinced I was going crazy by now. I tried to do anything I possibly could to get my mind off of things, but nothing was working.

I scrolled through Instagram, Twitter, and even the dead online world of Facebook, but nothing could take my mind off of things. Not even middle aged women complaining out their lives. I didn't have enough time to watch TV so I sat in silence as my stomach churned.

It's been over 20 minutes and Harry still wasn't back. It didn't help at all with my nerves. I decided to change my clothes into something warmer. It probably dropped about 10 degrees from the rain and I knew it wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

It's now been over 30 minutes and still no sign of Harry. I was on verge of panicking as my phone call went straight to voice mail for the 3rd time. Where was he? He was in such a rush, he shouldn't be this late.

I did a double check of anything else I might need before grabbing my suitcase and walking downstairs. I could at least put the suitcase in the car. I unlocked and opened the front door and put my hood up to try and shield myself from some of the rain.

I ran out and opened up the trunk and heaved my suitcase into it and slammed the door shut. I looked back and I noticed the car was off. I could've sworn it was on when we got home. I shrugged it off as I tried not to worry even more.

I ran back inside and locked the door behind me before going back up into my room. I turned on the TV and tried to watch something to distract myself. After 10 minutes into Titanic I couldn't help my nerves anymore.

I called Harry multiple more times and sent him a dozen texts, but none of them were answered. I sat on the edge of my bed as my fingers tapped my knee impatiently. Where is he? Is he okay? My stomach panged with fear at every thought.

When a knock came from my window my heart sped up. A smile went across my face as I rushed to the window. My heart was still racing as I pulled the window up. "I thought I told you not to scare me like that!" I yelled and before I could register what was happening...

Everything went black.

.

.

[A/N: Yikes this is short. Oh well. The drama is coming and so is the end.]