three

"The marks humans leave are too often scars."-J.G

Song for this chapter: When I Look at You by Miley Cyrus

.

.

Sorry. That one word has been repeating in my head since he jumped out the window the other night. He texted me the morning after that saying 'Sorry'. I genuinely thought he got seriously hurt from that jump.

I never responded to his text. It's only been 2 days since he left me, majorly freaked out. I could barely sleep that night, knowing that he might be brutally injured scared me to death. I hardly knew Harry, but that didn't mean I didn't care about him. 

I trekked downstairs for breakfast, which-not surprisingly-wasn't made. I opened the cabinets and took out the box of Cheerio's. I poured myself a bowl of cereal and started eating. Much to my surprise my dad walked down the stairs.

"Hey, stranger." He said as he grabbed the Cheerio's box and stuck it back in the cabinet. "Hey! Where have you been?" I asked with my mouth full. He shot me a displeased look, but I shrugged it off. He poured himself a cup of coffee in a travel mug and came over to me.

"Work's been busy." He said and kissed me on the top of my head and walked out the door. "Love you!" He called out when the door shut, not giving me time to respond. "Love you too." I mumbled under my breath and stuck my bowl in the sink. 

My mom came in the kitchen and her eyes were all puffy, it looked like she'd been crying. "Are you okay?" I asked my mom coming closer to her. She had definitely been crying. "I'm fine." She said barely above a whisper. 

"You're not fine, mom. What happened?" I asked. "Your father." She said and her eyes started watering again. "What'd he do?" I said feeling panic in my stomach. "He's.. He's." She started sobbing. "He's leaving us, Cay." She choked out and I froze.

"W-What?" I said feeling tears gather in my eyes. She couldn't even speak as she ran back up to her room. I didn't know what to do. It  felt like my world was crashing down around me. I let out a strangled cry and held my hand to my mouth as I slid down the wall till my butt hit the ground. 

No, this wasn't happening. It wasn't. I wanted to scream and cry, but no tears came and I couldn't find my voice. I tried to call Liam, but it went straight to voicemail. I couldn't call Meredith because of the time differences and international rates. 

All of a sudden tears started running around my face. I held my face in my hands and cried. I was interrupted by a knock on the front door. I knew my mom wouldn't come down to answer it, but I couldn't be bothered to get up to answer it. 

After a few seconds a knock sounded again. I got up and walked to the door, ignoring the wetness I felt all over my cheeks. I opened the door and I saw Harry standing there. I knew I should've yelled at him and told him to leave, but I felt too alone to do that. 

Instead I went up to him and wrapped my arms around him and cried. He froze in shock, but then he wrapped his arms around my back. He didn't ask me what was wrong he just kept holding me and it was comforting. 

"Let's go inside, yeah?" He said and I nodded against his chest. He lead me to the living room and sat me down on the couch. He sat next to me and I started crying again. He pulled me into his chest and waited until I calmed down.

About 10 minutes later I pulled back and wiped my cheeks. I saw I got his shirt all wet and I felt guilty. "I'm sorry." I apologized wiping my eyes again. "Don't apologize." He said and gave me a questioning glance. 

Then he asked the most dreaded question I knew was coming. "What happened?" He asked with a sympathetic look. "My dad." I choked out. "He's leaving us." I said and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry." He said and gave me a hug.

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that." I said gesturing to his shirt. "Don't worry about it." He said and   I didn't respond. "Why is he, you know, leaving?" He asked and I shrugged. "He's been 'working' a lot lately. I bet he met another woman." I chuckled humorlessly.

"Well, if that's the case he's a dick." He said and I nodded in agreement. "I should've known." I muttered pathetically. "How were you supposed to know?" He asked and I shrugged. "I knew he was working too much." I said and Harry gave me a blank stare. 

"I'm sorry, I look terrible." I put my face in my hands. "Stop apologizing." He said and lifted my chin up from my hands. "And you look beautiful." He gave me a half smile. I felt my cheeks heat up, but he probably couldn't tell, my cheeks were already red from crying. 

"Why did you come here?" I said changing the subject. His eyes lit up. "Go get dressed." He commanded. "Why?" I asked. "Just do it." He said and pushed me towards the stairs. "Okay, Nike." I chuckled slightly and went upstairs to get dressed. 

After I got dressed I braided my hair to the side and went back downstairs. Harry was looking at a pictures when I came down. "Who's in this?" He asked pointing to the woman standing next to my mom. "My dad's sister." I said while slipping on my Toms.

He nodded and turned around to face me. "Ready?" He said and I nodded. I opened the door and shut it behind Harry. We walked to his car and he opened the passenger door for me. I thanked him and sat down and put my seat belt on.  

"Where are we going?" I asked and he shrugged. "We'll know when we get there." He winked at me, I rolled my eyes and looked out the window. "It's not always about the destination it's about the journey too." He said with his eyes trailed on the road. "Deep." I joked.