twenty five

"Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor."-S.A

Song for this chapter: Look What You Started by Megan and Liz

.

.

I wrapped my apron around my waist as I made my way behind the counter. "Hey, Caylah." My co-worker, Angela greeted me. "Hey, Ang." I said as I clocked in for the day. "How are things?" She asked, referring to my mom.

"Not the best, but there's not much you can do." I shrugged it off. "If you need anything text me." She said giving me a side hug as she unwrapped her apron. "See you on Wednesday." She smiled and waved as she exited the building.

"And then there was one." I breathed out to myself. After about 10 customers had come and gone, I was left in silence. The bell rang, signalling someone had entered so I looked towards the door to see that my boss, Miranda, had come in.

"Oh, hello dear." She smiled as she spotted me. "Hi, Miranda." I smiled back at her. Miranda was probably in her mid 60's. She was the sweetest person you'd ever meet. She was very understanding when I explained to her what had happened with my mom.

She gave me as long as I wanted off, which I was very thankful for. I don't think I could've handled a bunch of people coming up to me telling me how sorry they were right after it happened. It would've been awful.

 "How are you?" She smiled as she pulled a schedule from a cabinet. "Hanging in there, how about you?" I answered as I took a customers order. "Just fine. I just came in to make some schedule changes, then I'll be out of your hair." She smiled and went into the back room.

After about 10 minutes of doing pretty much nothing, Miranda emerged from the back room. "Have you been busy?" She asked as she put her coat over her shoulders. "Not really a few customers every few hours." I told her.

"If you'd like to close a bit early, you can." She smiled and I nodded. "Thank you." I smiled back at her. "Anytime, dear. I'll see you on Thursday." She said, and with one last wave she was gone. I looked around the empty room, and decided to start cleaning up.

The bell rang as I was about to clean out the cappuccino machine. "Can I help you?" I asked as I finished sweeping the floor. "I hear you're leaving early." I smiled as Harry's voice made it's way to my ears. "You heard correctly." I said as I put the broom down.

"What time is it?" I asked as I made eye contact with him. "About quarter to six." He said, looking at his watch. "I have to clean up, then I can leave." I told him, walking out from behind the counter to change the open sign to closed.

"Need any help?" He asked with his hands in his pockets. "Uh, maybe." I said, dragging out the end of the word as I looked around the room, seeing what had to be done. "If you could help me mop the floors?" I said with a smile.

He rolled his eyes, but nodded anyways. I went into the back room to get the bucket and mop, and then I brought it out and handed it to Harry. He glared at me as he shrugged his coat off of his shoulders, then went over to fill the bucket up.

I began to clean out the cappuccino machine. It was literally the most dreaded task I had. Worse than mopping the floors. You had to make sure all the coffee grounds were out of it, then you had to put water through it then let it brew out, then you'd have to clean the dispensers.

If I had a dollar for every time I've burned myself on this machine, I'd be rich. No lie. I scrunched my nose up at the intense smell of the coffee as I took the top off of the machine. "Hey, Cay, Look." I turned around to face him.