one

"Politeness is deception in pretty packaging."-V.R

Song for this chapter: The Love Club by Lorde.

.

.

I sat upside down on our couch, humming a tune while I waited for my nail polish to dry. I grabbed my phone and carefully pressed shuffle on my playlist. It resumed the last song I had to listened to earlier. 

"Be a part of the love club everything will glow for you." I sang loudly as I thumped my feet against the couch. "Having fun?" I heard my mothers voice and nearly fell off the couch. "Oh my god. You scared me." I said sitting upright on the couch.

"I think you killed the dog next door with your voice." She laughed and I rolled my eyes. I continued listening to the music. "I'm sitting pretty on the throne, there's nothing more I want, except to be alone." I sang loudly and glared at my mother at the same time.

She laughed and continued taking groceries out of a bag. "Can you stop pouting and help me?" She asked and I sighed. "Fine." I trailed off and hopped off the couch. My nails were finally dry so I started pulling things out of the bags. 

"You need to get out of the house." She said after a few moments of silence. "I do not!" I exclaimed. "Is there something wrong with having a child who stays inside all day and reads?" I asked and she shook, her head.

"Of course not. I'm just pretty sure you haven't been out of the house since school let out." She laughed. "School let out last month." I said and she looked over at me. "A month. You've been in this house for a month." She said matter of factly.

"Fine, I'll go ask Liam if we can hang out tonight." I surrendered and went into the living room to get my phone. I unlocked my iPhone and scrolled through my contacts and called Liam.

"Liam." I groaned when he picked up, I heard him chuckle from the other side of the line. "Caylah." He repeated in the same way I did. "My mom wants me to get out of the house." I said and I could practically see him roll his eyes.

"Oh what a tragedy that would be." He said sarcastically. "Considering you and Meredith are my only friends and she's in Australia for the summer..." I trailed off and he sighed. "You want to hang out." He finished and I nodded even though he couldn't see me.

"Yes." I said shortly. "I can, but my friend is in town and he'll have to go with us." He said quietly and I sighed. "Fine. Tonight at 7." I agreed. We said our goodbyes and I hung up. "So." My mom said from the kitchen. "He can." I answered and went upstairs to get ready. 

I got a shower, got dressed and sat on my bed. I scrolled through my Instagram feed until 6:45. I stuck my phone in my back pocket and walked downstairs. "Bye!" I called to my mom as I walked out the door. 

My car was in the shop getting fixed after I wrecked into a parked car in the school parking lot when school let out. It's possible, trust me. I walked down the street to the nearest Starbucks to my house. I walked in and ordered my drink while waiting for Liam. 

I sat down while they made my drink and Liam texted me to tell me that he's almost here. "Caylah!" The woman called out and I got up to grab my drink. I thanked her and grabbed a straw then sat back down. At the same time I saw Liam and his friend walk through the door.

I sighed in frustration as I looked at my cup. "What's wrong, Cay?" Liam asked as they both sat down. "They spelled my name wrong again." I rolled my eyes and showed him the cup. "How do you spell it then?" His friend asked. 

I looked over to him and waited till he told me his name. "Harry." He said and I nodded. "Caylah. That's C-A-Y-L-A-H." I spelled it out for him and he furrowed his eyebrows. "That's a strange way of spelling it." He commented and got up. 

"Want anything?" He asked Liam. "Just coffee." He said and Harry nodded and walked to the counter. "That's a strange way of spelling it." I mimicked and Liam laughed. "You guys and your British accents. This is New York. Gotta have an American accent." I huffed.

"Hey, America is a free country I can have whatever accent I'd like." Liam joked and I laughed. "What's the deal with this Harry kid?" I asked and he tensed. "Visiting." He said shortly and I narrowed my eyes. "Liar." I called out and he opened his mouth to say something but Harry sat down before he could.

"So, why are you in town Harry?" I asked even though I just asked Liam. "I'm moving here in the fall and I just wanted to get everything prepared for when I arrive." He replied and holy-his voice was deep. "What grade are you gonna be in?" I asked and he gave a look to Liam.

"He'll be in our grade." Liam said for him and I nodded. "How long are you here for?" I asked and Liam gave me a look basically saying, can you shut up about Harry. "For 2 more weeks." He said and I nodded again. 

"So, Caylah. You haven't been out of the house since school let out?" Liam brought up and I rolled my eyes. "Nope." I said and he laughed. "Of course you haven't." He smiled. "You know me too well." I said dramatically. 

"I haven't had a reason to." I said seriously. "Dad's been working. Mom has been busy helping my aunt get moved in. I've just been reading." I shrugged and got up to throw out my drink. I sat back down and I saw Liam glance at his phone.

"It's 7:30 already. We better go." He said looking over at Harry then to me. "You can go. I'll stay with Caylah for awhile. I'll find my way back." Harry said with a smirk and Liam gave him a warning look but Harry brushed it off. 

"Okay, I guess." Liam said uneasily. "Bye, love." He waved at me as he walked out the door. "Are you guys, like, dating?" Harry asked and I laughed. "Me and Liam?" I asked and he nodded. "Never in a million years." I chuckled and he smiled.

"So." He trailed off and I smiled. "So." I repeated. "What's your full name?" He asked as he sat back in his chair. "Caylah Winters." I replied and gave him a look to answer the same question. "Harry Styles." He smirked.

"So, Harry Styles. Considering you're in our grade you must be 17? 18?" I asked and he nodded. "18." He said with an amused smile. "What?" I asked genuinely confused. "Oh, nothing." He sighed and I shrugged. 

"And you're what?" He asked. "17." I replied and he nodded. "How'd you and Liam meet?" I asked. "Long story." He replied and I rolled my eyes. "You're not gonna tell me?" I asked and he shook his head. "Nope."

After about 15 minutes of talking he leaned forward with his hands on the table. "So, if you're not dating Liam... Are you dating anyone?" He asked wtih a straight face. "Nope, single as a pringle." I winked at him and he laughed.

"So, you wouldn't mind if I asked for your number?" He smirked. "Not at all." I felt my cheeks warm up and he pulled his phone out of his pocket. He handed it over to me and I punched my number in. He grabbed his phone and breathed in slowly.

He got this far away look in his eyes as he stood up. "I better get going." He said looking at his phone and I nodded. He walked out the door without saying a proper goodbye and I rolled my eyes. How much do you wanna bet he'll never text me.

I laughed bitterly as I walked outside into the hot air. I nearly tripped on the step coming out of Starbucks and I silently laughed at myself. I am seriously pathetic.