two

"Kindness connects to who you are, while niceness connects to how you want to be seen."-D.L

Song for this chapter: Solo by Demi Lovato

.

Two Weeks Later

I walked through the doors of the high school with my mom by my side. There was apparently something wrong with my application for next year which is really stupid because I've been going to this school since freshmen year. 

"Why am I here again?" I asked my mom while rolling my eyes. I didn't have to be here, she had to be here. "Because." Is all she said as we walked through the office doors. She was talking to the woman at the desk while I sat in the uncomfortable plastic chairs.

I was on my phone when someone else walked into the office. I didn't care to look up so I kept my gaze on my phone. "I'll be right with you, dear. Have a seat." The woman talking to my mom said. I looked up briefly and rolled my eyes at the sight.

Harry, of course. Harry hasn't texted me since we met, therefore I don't want to speak to him. Out of all the chairs in the entire room he chose the one next to me. "Caylah?" He asked looking over to me. "Yes?" I said sharply. 

"Why are you here?" He asked and I laughed bitterly. "I could ask you the same thing." I retorted. "Finishing my enrollment." He said and I sighed. "Fixing a problem with my application." I mumbled and he nodded. 

"Look, I'm sorry I never texted you, but I was busy." He said and I laughed. "You're such a guy." I muttered, mostly to myself. "Well, I am a guy." I could hear the smirk in his voice. "No shit, sherlock." I said quietly.

He laughed loudly and I fought the urge to roll my eyes. "Seriously though, I was busy." He said looking me in the eyes and I nodded. "Okay." Was all I said and I went back to my phone. A few seconds later my phone buzzed. 

Hi there.-H

"Are you kidding me?" I asked with an amused smile. "Now you can't say I never texted you." He smiled and I shook my head while laughing. "Touché." I chuckled and clicked 'add new contact'. "No." He said and grabbed my phone out of my hand.

"Hey!" I whisper-shouted as I tried to get it back from him, making sure my mom didn't notice and start scolding me. He typed something in and closed my phone. "Promise me you won't look at the contact name until I text you again." He said seriously. 

"Until you text me again? When's that? In 5 months?" I said bitterly and he visibly winced. "Tonight. I'll text you tonight. If I don't, which is very unlikely-then you have every right to never talk to me again." He said slowly and I nodded. "Deal." 

"I thought you were only here for 2 weeks?" I said, but it came out more like a question. "That's where I was. I left here early and now I'm back until the first school break, so until Christmas." He explained and I nodded. 

"Why'd you leave early?" I wondered aloud and he shrugged. "Don't know, really. I guess I just want to get settled here." He brushed it off and I nodded, once again. "Okay, we're all set, Caylah." My mom turned around.

"Okay." I said and stood up. "Well, it was nice seeing you again, I guess." I muttered and Harry stood up too. "You too." He said and walked passed me to the counter where my mom just was. I nodded slowly and followed my mom out the door. 

"Who was that?" My mom asked as I sat down in the car. "One of Liam's friends." I said and she nodded. "He's cute." She winked at me and I rolled my eyes as we went down the road. "Little bit." I mumbled and she laughed at me. 

Once we got home we ate dinner and exchanged small conversation. My dad, of course was working late again so he wasn't there. I don't know why he works so late lately. I walked up to my room and landed face first on my bed. 

I groaned as the wind was knocked out of me. I plugged my phone into the charger and checked to see if he had texted me, but of course, he hasn't. I rolled my eyes and turned on my music as I got changed for bed.

I hummed along to Classic by MKTO as I pulled on my shirt my phone beeped, momentarily muting my music. I hopped on my bed and opened the text, to my surprise it was Harry. He had named his contact as 'Harry fuckingattractive Styles'. Wow.

Look out your window

I stared at the message, confused. I got up and looked out my window and I saw Harry at the bottom of the tree outside my window. I tried to hide my surprise and ignored him and sat back on the bed. A few seconds later my phone buzzed again. 

Can you open your window? 

I got up, once again and opened the window this time. "Why are you outside my window?" I slightly shouted, hoping my mom didn't hear me. "Well, considering it's 10 at night I didn't think your mother would appreciate me ringing the doorbell." He said with a chuckle and I nodded. 

"You're probably right, but what good does it do to have you all the way down there and me up here?" I asked and I slightly saw him shrug. "You could come down here, or I could go up there." He said and I looked down and saw how far it was to the bottom.

"You couldn't make it up here." I stated and I heard him laugh. "Try me." He said and I held my hands up and stepped back, waiting for him to attempt to get up here. About a minute later he was jumping into my window. 

"How did you?" I said with my mouth open in shock. "You underestimate me." He said and I nodded. "Obviously." I said and he sat down on my bed. "So, how do you know where I live?" I asked as I sat down next to him. 

"Liam." He answered and I nodded. "Should've known." I muttered and he nodded. "Yeah." He said and nodded slowly. After an awkward few minutes I spoke up. "So, why are you here?" I asked and he stared straight ahead. 

"I don't know." He said without looking over at me. I put my hands behind me and leaned on them. We sat in a mostly comfortable silence until he mimicked my actions and sat his hand on top of mine, but he quickly pulled away.

"Sorry." He apologized. "It's fine." I brushed it off and laid on my back. "My mom thinks you're cute." I laughed slightly, trying to make conversation. "Is that so?" He asked looking down on me. "It is, but I don't think she'd like you if she knew you were here right now." I said.

"Probably not." He agreed. We played 20 questions for awhile and I learned that he's claustrophobic, he hates peanut butter, he loves apple juice, and he once tried to drown his pet fish but then realized they can't drown. 

"That is the weirdest thing I've ever heard." I was still laughing about his pet fish. "How did you try to drown it?" I asked with a highly amused smile. "I just grabbed it and held it underwater, but it never died so I was very confused." He laughed along with me. 

"My mum was the one to break it to me that fish can't drown." He laughed but it sounded half-hearted. "Did she come here with you?" I asked and he rubbed his hands over his face. "No." He said barely above a whisper. 

"Is she..?" I trailed off and he nodded. I instantly felt guilt inside of me. "I'm so sorry." I rushed out and he held up his hand and shook his head. "You don't need to apologize. You didn't know." He said and stood up.

I saw his eyes flash to a redish color, but then they were green again. I must be seeing things. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked standing up too. "I'm fine." He said looking away from me. "I have to go." He said and hopped out of the window.

"Oh my god!" I shrieked and when I looked out the window, he was gone. What the hell just happened?