seven

"To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often."-W.C

Song for this chapter: When It Rains by Paramore

.

.

I froze in shock as he moved his lips against mine. Hesitantly, I brought my arms around his neck and tangled my fingers in his hair as I kissed him back. I felt him smile against my lips as our lips moved in sync. 

He swiped his tongue over my bottom lip and I parted my mouth allowing him entrance. After a few moments of kissing, he froze against my lips and pulled back. He kept his eyes squinted closed as I looked at him in confusion.

"I-I, uh, I have to go." He said and bolted away from me. Ouch. I rubbed my hands over my face and walked around to find Meredith. I spotted her sitting on some guys lap. "Uh, Mere?" I asked interrupting their conversation.

"Yes?" She said giving me a slight glare. "You ready to go?" I asked her impatiently. "We only got here an hour ago, Cay." She said shooting me daggers. Plus, I'm in the middle of something here." She said shooting me daggers.

"Fine." I said and sat down on a chair on the opposite side of them. They were flirting majorly, and it was making me sick. "Do you work out?" Meredith asked the guy and he shrugged. "From time to time." He smirked.

"I can tell." She giggled as she rubbed up and down his arm. Oh my god, she's so stupid. I thumped my thumbs on my knee to the beat of the song playing, trying to ignore their flirting. "You saving this seat?" I looked up to lock eyes with a dark haired guy.

"Uh, no. Have a seat." I stuttered. "You don't look like you're having much fun." The guy said after he sat down. "Gee, what gave that away?" I said sarcastically as I drew shapes with my finger nail on my leg. He chuckled at my comment.

"I'm Derrick." He said and held out his hand to me. I shook it and smiled. "Caylah." I told him and he smiled at me. "Please don't think it's spelled like Kayla." I said and he looked at me confusedly. "K-A-Y-L-A." I said and he still looked confused.

"My name is spelled like C-A-Y-L-A-H." I told him and he nodded. "Well, mines spelled D-E-R-R-I-C-K." He said and I smiled. "Finally. Someone else with a weirdly spelled name." I celebrated and he laughed. 

"High-five." I said and held up my hand. He chuckled and gave me a high-five. "So, did you come here alone?" He asked and I shook my head and pointed to Meredith. "I'm with her." I said while rolling my eyes. 

He nodded. "You?" I asked and he looked around and spotted someone he knew. "I'm with him." He pointed to some guy across the room. I nodded slowly. "Cool." I said and leaned back on the chair. "This party sucks." I said with a groan.

"It's not so bad." He said with a half-smile. "Really?" I said pointing to a group of nerdy looking guys with a dog by their side. "Okay, maybe it is." He laughed and I nodded. "Yes." I agreed. "How do you know Sam?" He asked and I shot him a confused look.

"Who?" I asked and he smiled. "Sam Richards?" He said and I shook my head. "The person hosting this party?" He laughed and my mouth formed an o shape. "No, my-" I cut off. What was Harry? "My friend invited me." I said and he nodded.

"Who's your friend?" He asked and I smiled amusingly. "Wouldn't you like to know." I said and he chuckled slightly. "You wouldn't know him anyways. He just moved here." I said and he nodded. "I see." He said and I nodded.

I looked over at Meredith to see her still on that guys lap, but this time they were making out. "Gross." I made a face and Derrick laughed at me. "What's wrong?" He asked and I shrugged. "It's just weird seeing my best friend sucking face with some guy." I said loud enough for Meredith to hear.

She pulled away and shot me a warning look. "This some guy has a name you know." She said and I shot her a look. "Okay, what is it?" I asked. "Dylan." She said and I nodded. "Carry on." I said and she smiled and continued making out with Dylan.

"This is going to sound ridiculously crazy, but..." I trailed off and pulled my phone from my pocket. "Can I have your number?" I asked with my heart beating with the loud music. "Sure." He said and grabbed my phone from me and plugged in his number.

"Here." He said handing me my phone. "Oh, and someone texted you. I didn't read it I swear." He laughed with his hands up in surrender. "I believe you." I laughed as I opened up my messages. I rolled my eyes when I saw the text was from Harry.

I'm sorry.

Of course. His infamous words. I quickly responded to him.

It's fine. I met someone anyways.

As soon as I clicked send I regretted it. I felt obnoxious for mentioning that in there. I shouldn't try to make Harry jealous. Harry wouldn't get jealous, he's not like that. A few seconds later my phone buzzed and I hesitantly opened it. 

Who?

That one word made me freeze. Do I tell him? Or do I brush it off. I debated on what to say when I heard Derrick chuckle. "Having trouble there?" He asked referring to my troubled expression. "Nope, not at all." I replied with a smile and looked back at my phone.

A guy.

I clicked send before I could regret it and turned my phone off. "There, it's off." I told Derrick and he nodded. "You didn't have to turn it off." He laughed lightly and I shrugged. "I don't feel like texting right now." I explained and he nodded.

We talked for a little while but it was difficult to talk over the music. Meredith and Dylan were now talking and she wasn't on his lap. Maybe they actually like each other. I laughed silently to myself. People that meet at parties don't like each other often.

"Hey, Mere?" I said catching her attention. She looked over at me with a questioning glance. "Do you think you guys could talk to us too?" I asked with a smirk and she sighed. "Nah." She said and went back to talking to Dylan.

"Well then." I mumbled under my breath and Derrick laughed. "Young love." He joked and I nodded. "It kills me." I said with a chuckle. We continued talking about completely random things before we were rudely interrupted.

"Caylah." A harsh voice said behind me and I froze in my spot.