thirty

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."-F.D.R

Song for this chapter: The Heart Wants What It Wants by Selena Gomez

.

.

I woke up to the faint sound of beeping machinery. "Cay?" I heard a familiar voice ask. I groaned as I slowly opened my eyelids. I winced at the bright light streaming through the curtains. "What happened?" I groaned as I looked around the room.

Memories of last night flooded through my mind. "You passed out from trauma and pain. At least that's what the doctor said." Liam spoke. "Your nose isn't broken, but you have a concussion." He informed me. "I just want to go home." I complained.

"I know. I'll go find your doctor." He said and stood up from the plastic chair. I shut my eyes as I waited for him to return. "Miss Winters." An unfamiliar voice spoke. I cracked my eyes open to meet the man that was probably in his mid 20s. 

"How are you feeling?" He asked as he checked the chart at the end of the bed. "Fine, actually. Just tired." I told him with a shrug. "Well that's to be expected." He told me and flashed a light on both of my eyes.

"You should be free to go home. Right after I give you your last pain injection." He told me and went behind me and opened a cabinet. He got out a syringe with a dark liquid in it. "Don't let the color scare you away." He chuckled slightly and injected the liquid into my I.V.

Liam gave him a weird look from behind him. "I'll go get the discharge papers. Then you're free to go." He wrote something in the chart and closed it before walking out the door. "What?" I asked, seeing Liam had the same expression on his face.

"He's given you that same injection every hour since you got here." He said with his eyebrows furrowed. I shrugged it off. "If you could feel my head pounding right now, you'd know why." I told him, but he didn't look convinced.

"Liam, you're not a doctor." I said with a laugh. "Yes, but I can be overprotective." He chuckled. "How far are we from home?" I questioned. "About 6 hours." He sighed. "We've got a long drive then." I said and then stood up slowly.

"Can you get me some clothes?" I asked, seeing my bag on the ledge of the window. "Of course." Liam said and opened the bag. He rummaged around before handing me a pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt. "Thank you." I said as I grabbed the clothes from his hand.

 My head was still thumping, but it was slowly getting better. Before I could get changed I realized I needed to get the I.V out of my arm. Liam called a nurse in and they quickly took the I.V out of my arm. I thanked the nurse then went into the bathroom to get changed.

I took off the ugly hospital gown and quickly pulled the shirt over my head and the pants up my legs. I tied the strings on my sweatpants and then opened the bathroom door. I threw the hospital gown on the bed and slipped my Converse onto my feet.

"We just need to wait for the discharge papers." Liam said and I groaned. I just wanted to get on the road and out of here. A few moments later the same nurse from earlier came in carrying the papers. I quickly signed them and then grabbed my bag.

"No, no. I'm carrying that." Liam said and snatched the bag from my grip. "Li." I said giving him an annoyed look. "You're treating me like I'm disabled." I huffed. "You are disabled for a few days." He laughed.

We took the elevator down to the lobby and stepped out when the doors opened. "I actually-" Liam cut me off my shushing me. "Wha-" He cut me off again by putting his hand on my mouth. I turned towards him and he mouthed the word Harry.

My eyes widened. I thought Harry stayed at the hotel or something. "Caylah!" Harry's raspy voice yelled, making my head snap in his direction. "Caylah, please." He said and came over to me quickly. "I have nothing to say to you." I snapped and tried to push past him.

He grabbed my wrist and I flinched back. "No, no, no. Cay, don't be scared." He said and tried to reach out to my cheek. "I'm not afraid." I said through clenched teeth. "Don't touch me." I said angrily. "Let me fix this." He said firmly.

"You've done enough, Harry. I try and I try to make you a better person, but the only one it ends up hurting is me. I've done everything for you, Harry. The least you can do is give me some space." I said with tears threatening to fall.

"You can't go back home, Cay." Harry said, making me even more angry. "Why not?" I asked, I feel like we've had this conversation a million times. "It's not safe." He stated firmly. "I'll stay away from you. I'll give you space. Just don't go home." He said and grabbed my hands.

"You can't tell me what to do and what not to do." I said stubbornly. "Cay, maybe you should listen to him." Liam said, surprising both Harry and I. "What the hell, Liam?" I said, narrowing my eyes at him. "Just to be safe." He added.

"Fine." I huffed. "I'll stay at the lake house for a week. A week. No more. No less. Got it?" I said with my arms crossed. No one responded, so I sighed and began to walk out of the hospital. My head was pounding, I just wanted to sleep.

"I'm so tired." I complained as we got to the car. "You can't go to sleep. Liam, don't let her go to sleep." Harry said in a panicked tone. "Harry, I know. She'll be fine, mate." Liam said and clapped Harry on the back.

"One week." Harry said when I was about to close the car door. "For?" I asked impatiently. "I'll leave you alone for one week. No calls, texts, nothing." He said and I sighed. "Okay." I agreed. "Okay. I'll talk to you then."

.

.