five

"I want to be fearless."-D.L

Song for this chapter: Demons by The Wanted

.

.

I was startled awake by my ringtone blaring loudly. I groaned and looked at my clock and the time read 4:41. Who would be calling me in the middle of the night? I picked up my phone and read the name. Meredith. 

Why was she calling me? She knows the time differences. I clicked answer and groggily said hello. "Oh my god! Caylah!" She squealed and I had to hold the phone away from my ear. Squealing when I just wake up is a no no. 

"What the fuck do you want, Meredith?" I groaned and I heard her gasp. "I'm sorry. I know how you are about squealing." She apologized and I sighed. "It's fine. Now, what do you want?" I repeated. "I'm here!" She said excitedly.

"Where?" I asked sitting up in my bed a little bit. "Australia." She answered and I was fuming at this point. "I know that you dumb shit. You've been there for like 2 months now." I said, trying to keep in my anger. 

I went to hang up but I heard her voice. "No! Wait! Caylah, I was kidding! I meant I'm here at your house." She said and my anger disappeared. "Seriously?" I asked. "Yes! Come let me in!" She said and I hung up on her. 

I quietly ran down the stairs and opened the door. I knew we couldn't greet each other down here, so I quickly grabbed her hand, shut the door, and took her upstairs. Once we got to my room, I sat her down on my bed. 

"Oh my god!" I nearly screamed, but Meredith told me to shh. "Oh my god." I repeated in a whisper shout and she laughed at me. "How? What? Why? When?" I rambled and she told me to sit down. I sat down next to her and looked at her expectantly. 

"Well, I told my mom that I didn't like Australia and that I missed you. The Australia part was a lie. That country is freaking amazing." She said, probably reminiscing about it. "So, she let me come home early, but they're still there and I'm staying with my aunt." She made a face.

"I literally just got here. I just had to see you, because I know how I haven't talked to you in like 2 days-" I cut her off. "Because you were coming back." I finished for her and she nodded. "This is amazing." I said and sat back on my bed.

"So, tell me about Australia." I said and looked over at her. "Well, it was amazing to say the least. I got to hold a koala. Can it get better than that?!" She exclaimed and I laughed. "We were just in Sydney, but it was still amazing. It's such a pretty city." She smiled.

"We stayed at this hotel by the airport for a few days, then we stayed with my cousins. There was Rebecca, Mia, and Luke. Let me tell you about Luke." She smiled and winked at me. "Luke is the hottest Australian I've ever seen. He's like outrageously hot." She swayed back and forth.

"We've covered that." I laughed and she blushed. "He's so sweet too. I'd tap that." She said and I made a horrified face. "Mere! He's you cousin. That's disgusting." I said and she shrugged. "Oh well. I can still say he's hot." She smiled with her tongue sticking out.

After about 15 minutes of her telling me about Australia she paused. "I'm sorry. Enough about Australia, what's been happening with you?" She asked and I looked at my hands. "Nothing really." I said and she rolled her eyes.

"I got out of the house for the first time since school, like 2 weeks ago." I said and she shook her head. "Of course." She said and I rolled my eyes. "Why does everyone keep saying that?" I asked and she gave me a look. "That's pretty much it." I shrugged and she gave me an accusing look.

"What?" I asked and she sighed. "What did you do on the one day you went outside?" She asked and I sighed. "Well, I've actually been out 3 times since then." I said proudly and she had an amused smile on her lips.

"Well then, what happened on those 3 days you went out?" She asked. "The first day I met up with Liam and his friend, Harry." I said and she gave me a look. "Is he hot?" She asked and I laughed and nodded with a blush on my cheeks.

"Okay, okay. What about the other days?" She said. "The 2nd day I had to get something fixed with my application for school and of course Harry was there." I said and she gave me a confused look. "Okay..." She trailed off. 

"The 3rd day he showed up randomly at my house after..." I trailed off not wanting to say it. "After what?" She asked and I shook my head. "Nothing." I said blinking back my tears. "Well, anyways. He took me to this tattoo parlor and we got tattoos." I said and she gasped.

"Like matching couplely tattoos?" She asked and I shook my head quickly. "God, no." I said and she sighed out of relief. "He got some tattoo on his wrist. I think it said I can't change, I can't remember. Then, I got birds on my wrist." I said holding up my arm.

I took it out of the plastic wrap even though Zayn said I shouldn't. I looked it up and it said to leave it on for 8 hours, so I just took it off. "Your mom let you get a tattoo?" She gaped and I felt guilt in my stomach. "Not exactly..." I said.

"She doesn't know?!" She exclaimed and I shook my head. "Oops?" I said and she laughed. "You're a trainwreck." She said and I gasped. "Am not!" I said and she rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say." She brushed it off and so did I. 

"This Harry kid seems a little weird, don't you think?" She asked with an uneasy look on her face. "What do you mean?" I asked confusedly. "He shows up wherever you go, Caylah. That's not usual." She said. "It's just coincidental." I told her, but it felt like I was telling myself.

"It may be, just be careful." She said with a small smile. I nodded and we sat in a few seconds of silence. "Caylah, seriously. You said Harry came over after something. What was it?" She asked and I looked down. 

"M-My parents." I started. "They're splitting up." I said, forcing the tears to stay in my eyes. "Caylah." She said and wrapped me in a hug. "I'm so sorry." She said and I nodded against her shoulder. "I'm really doing okay. Harry helped me a lot when he showed up." I told her. 

I looked at the clock when she pulled away from me and it read 5:55. "I need sleep." I said feeling a wave of exhaustion come over me. "You go to sleep. I'll be back in the morning." Meredith said as she grabbed her purse and left. 

I crawled into the covers and let sleep take over me.