nineteen

"That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt."J-G

Song for this chapter: Not About Angels by Birdy

.

.

Panic floated through my veins a million miles per minute. I dropped the phone and let it smash into pieces onto the floor. I felt the weight of the world fall on my shoulders. All at once I crumpled to the floor and broke down. 

"Cay?" Harry said urgently, crouching down next to me. The man's words echoed through my head. "She's in the intensive care unit." He sighed. "Get here as soon as you can. It doesn't look good."  I couldn't understand this pain I was feeling.

Nothing was worse than what I was feeling right at this moment. "Caylah, I know something just happened, but I can't help you until you tell me what's wrong." Harry said calmly, with his hand on my back. 

"M-My m-mom." I choked out before another round of tears. "H-Hospital." I told him and he still looked confused, but it only took him a moment to react. He pulled my up onto my feet and pulled me out the door and into my car.

I knew he must've driven my car from the restaurant and he was probably going to take Liam's home. He put me in the passenger seat and I quickly pulled the seat belt over my body. Through my tears I could see Harry rush to the drivers side.

As soon as he got in he started the car and drove out of my driveway quickly. There was only one hospital around here, so I figured he knew where to go. The car was dead silent, other than the hum of the engine and a few choked sobs from me.

When we got the hospital he pulled up to the front near the doors, then unlocked the doors. "Go, I'll go park and meet you inside." He said quickly. I nodded and opened the door then ran inside to the hospital. I instantly ran to the nurses desk and tried to pull myself together at least a little bit.

"I-I'm here for my mom." I told her with hot tears rolling down my face. "Peyton Winters?" I said and she typed something in the computer. "She's not allowed visitors until she's stable, but you can go wait in the ICU waiting room on level 8." She smiled sympathetically at me.

"O-Okay, thank you. If a guy with slightly curly hair and tattoos comes in can you tell him where to go?" I asked and she nodded. "Of course." She smiled at me and I nodded and thanked her once again. I walked towards the elevators and pushed the button to go up.

A few moments later the doors opened and I quickly stepped in and hit the 8 button. The elevator lurched upward and I could feel my heart beating in my chest. The elevator made a ding as it reached the 8th floor.

I stepped out of the elevator and walked towards the ICU nurses desk. "I was w-wondering if you had any other news about Peyton Winters? I-I asked the nurse downstairs, but she didn't tell me a lot." I explained while hiccuping. 

"One minute, dear." The older lady said then typed away at her computer's keyboard. "She was in a car accident, she has severe lacerations on her abdomen, a major concussion, her spleen ruptured, and possible brain damage." She explained and I winced at her words.

"They've already taken out her spleen and stitched her lacerations up, right now they're just trying to get her stable and then worry about the brain damage later." She told me and I nodded. By now, my tears had stopped rolling down my cheeks.

I was pretty sure I had run out of tears. "The waiting room is over there." She motioned to the left of her desk. I nodded and quietly thanked her then went to sit on one of the chairs. There were only two other people in the waiting room.