56

Calla

Although it was the middle of the night, we traveled through the darkened hills of Espana. I rested comfortably in Donatello's arms as his carriage took us to an undisclosed location in the outskirts of the city.
I felt so safe and warm in his embrace, refusing to let him go.

We pull up to a small cottage in the middle of a clearing. He helps me out of course, holding my waist taut. "Where are we?" I asked, pulling my coat up higher. It was a bit chilly tonight and I had barely worn any fur.

"At a friend of a friend's. I thought Cashing in on an IOU" I nodded before he led me to the front of the door, knocking on the wood.

"Coming!" The light of a small candle illuminated the darkness. I heard a few heavy footsteps before the door lock twisted and opened.

A man as tall as a tree greeted us at the door. He looked so merry, his smile was infectious. He had a thick mop of curly hair and a bushy brown beard that filled his plump cheeks.
"Donatello?" He beamed, gently extending his palm to shake Donatello's. They hug in familiarity before parting. He turns his attention to me and smiles.

"And who is this beautiful woman?" His voice boomed with pride.

"Calla. Empress of Genovia"

"Ahh. It is an honor my liege. I have heard so much about you" he bowed, taking my palm to his lips.

"Wow. I did not realize news from Genovia extended this far"

"Only the relevant news" he winked. "So what brings here?"

"Remember that time you begged me to paint a picture of your beloved dog Charles?"

"Yes! It hangs just above my fire mantle. I can't thank you enough." He opened his door even wider to show off the canvas above the mantle.

"Well, I think I'm ready for that IOU"

—-

A dog with fur as white as snow snuggled by the fire as Donatello and I stood in the middle of the small living room.
It was time.

"Do you, Calla,  Donatello Montaonia to have and to hold?" The man named whose name I learned to be Arius speaks.

"I do" I nodded. I frowned realizing I didn't have a ring to give Donatello. "I didn't have a chance to get a ring" I smiled sheepishly, looking at Arius.

"Ahhh. I have rings for purposes such as these" he teased, turning behind the mantle and picking up a small box from its surface. He presses a simple metal ring into my palm, signaling me to put it on Donatello's finger. It shined as bright as a crystal ball; its craftsmanship was not to be ignored.

"I must at least personalize when time allows it" I whispered. Donatello only smiled, staring into my eyes in admiration.

"I think this is just enough," he says, looking down in approval.

Donatello

I couldn't help but beam as I took in Calla's elegant features. She looked so beautiful in the midnight candlelight. I was excited to call her mine. To have and to hold her forever would be a romance in itself.
It was not only her hallmarks I was excited about gaining but her mind, her spirit, her strength. She was wise beyond years, making me question everything I once knew. She understood me like no one else.
Calla, the name that made me sane.
My wife.

She slipped a metal ring Arius had given her onto my finger.

"Donatello do you take Calla from....". Arius paused and looked into her eyes. She looked at him and blushed, tiptoeing to whisper into his ear.

"Do you take Calla from Cedonia" he looked at her to make sure he had pronounced her city correctly. She nodded and looked over at me.
"As your wife. To have and to hold"

"I do" I whispered eagerly. I shuffled my pockets, reaching for a small handkerchief I had wrapped securely.

I pulled out a small but modest ring that had been passed down from generation to generation in my family. My mother had worn it before my father passed.

Calla's eyes glimmered with hope as she watched the shiny glow of the diamond.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. Donatello? You may now kiss your bride" Arius announces, stepping away to give us some privacy. We smacked carelessly, cherishing every moment of the silence before breaking and looking into each other's eyes.

"I can't believe it," she whispered. "We are married. I am your wife.
I love you Mr. Montonia."

"I love you Mrs. Montonia." I reminded her.

Arius was so overjoyed, smiling with glee as he watched our joy. "I should break some bread or make some tea! A celebration for the newlyweds!"

"No no. That is quite all right Arius. You have done so much already. Thank you friend" I said. Arius was the only officiant within the countryside of Spain so I was thankful for his proximity.

"Any time Donatello." He nodded, shaking my hands and hugging us both.

"You two be safe now. You hear?"

And after a few more kisses and brief conversation, we  journey back to Montonia Vineyard before heading to sleep.

Not before we consummated the marriage of course.

You

Author Note

Y'all bear with me and these short chapters! Trying to update more often since this book is coming to a close. I don't have an ETA on how many more chapters but I kinda mapped out the ending....

We shall see