28

Calla

Donatello was silent but still continued kissing my neck, pulling my hair back to see my outlines. He pushed me away, turning me to face one side of the bath while he rested against the other. Even with no words, we stared into each other's eyes, conversing about eveything and nothing. The spark we shared was electric and I knew it wasn't only me.

Donatello

Staring at Calla was the high of each day. I couldn't believe how fate had connected us together and although I hated Leo, I took relish in his lapse of judgment. He had finally done one thing right: bringing me to her. I thought it a strange request at first to salt with the emperor's sullen wife and was actually against the arrangement, but actually seeing Calla left me intrigued. She was a beautiful woman with a broken spirit. I wanted more than anything to know her...the woman beyond the title.

She lifted a foot so I could kiss it and I eagerly obeyed. "What does love mean to you?" I ask her, curious to know where her heart was. I knew she had not a good understanding of life and it's intricacies. Although she was wise beyond her years, she was still naive about the topic and I did not want to confuse her.

"Love? Hmmm"she pondered, looking into the sky. "Love is when? When you get all giddy inside.
When your heart beats at the sight of your stimulant the moment your eyes meets it.
When your feet carry on for a little bit longer, even when they are tired just to catch a glimpse of the person you fancy.
When you... find yourself thinking of your words before you say them because you are hesitant you might loose all sense once you lay eyes on them."

I smiled as I heard her words. There was so much truth to it.

"Have you ever been in love Donatello?" she asks me.

"Once" I confessed, pushing the memory back into my mind.

"You think about her?"

"No... once your heart breaks, you remember the heartache more than the person who inflicted it." I admitted. She looked into my eyes, taking in my body as we rested in the waters. "Have you been in love? " I ask her curiously.

"Yes and no?" she shrugs.

"Who?" I encourage her to confess.

"Leo" she admitted sheepishly. I chuckled and looked into her eyes.

"Well, I thought I loved him? Only because that is what I was told in stories. All my life, I've read fairytales about getting whisked away to be a princess and falling in love with a handsome prince? They never continue the story after "and they lived happily ever after" Haven't you noticed?" she asks me.

Calla

"I'm not really into fairytales and fables. They seem childish" he admitted. I did not blame him for his bluntness.

"Before meeting Leo, I would have never held the same sentiments. But now, I am aware, seeing the folly in the stories I once swore were true. Those stories were only for entertainment.
They would never come true."

Donatello still cemented his gaze as I told my truth. "Once the paint and blinders came off, I realized I never really loved Leo. I actually despised him"