24

A week has passed since the banquet

Calla

I woke up the next morning, feeling more uncomfortable than usual. I pondered the reason but  then rememberered the events that transpired just days ago and what Leo did to me at the banquet.

I couldn't stand the man I was forced to marry and I hated him even more for knowing my weakness: my body. To him I was only a vessel to his bidding. My only job on earth was to carry his heir. I was not allowed any interests or thoughts nor did I have autonomy and Leo loved it. I on the other hand couldn't stand it. On top of that, Donatello had been avoiding me the past couple of days. He was most likely upset about the scene he had to encounter but even so, why would he be so angry?
I doubt he had feelings for me, even after our kiss. Although we grew a bit closer, surely that was not the reason.

I stand and walk to the bathroom, bending over the sink to splash water into my face.  I hadnt' seen Donatello in days and to be quite honest, it was very depressing but I couldn't blame him. I only hated how dull palace life had become without him.

"Liza!" I yell, screaming for my only friend that remained in the palace. Surely she could cheer me up?

-----

Donatello

I tilted my head, pondering the final strokes of my paintbrush. It had been a long day but I needed to complete this final portrait. I had been avoiding Calla since a week ago. It pained me so, but I couldn't stand to see her face. I would think foolish things every time I saw her with Leo. So for my sanity, I thought it best I ignored her altogether.

Of course I was a hermit, holed up in my room while painting another portrait of her.
She was all I could ever paint these days.
All I could ever think about.
My beautiful Calla.

"No...no!!!" I heard her panted breaths from across my room. She was having a spell of night terrors again. I stood from my stool, walking over to her side of the room.
"No!! No!!! Let me go!" She screams again, clutching onto the blankets in fear.

"Calla? Calla!" I said, moving to hold her hands so she could calm. I was trying to wake her up but my efforts seemed futile.

"No...no...leave me alone... Stay away!!!" she shouted, shaking her body wildly.

"Callah!" I say again, " it's me, wake up" I begged, trying so hard to calm her.

"NOOO! Let me go Leo!!" she screamed shooting up and panting before finally align up from her sleeping spell.

"Calla! Calla? I am here!" I assure her through a frown. She looked around the room, desperate to adjust her eyes to the darkness before lifting her gaze into my eyes and instantly, she cried. I pulled her into my arms, letting her tears stain my neck as she shook beneath me. Her face was just as beautiful as she retreated in my warmth.

I hated seeing her in this state.

She eventually stopped and looked into my eyes, trying to excuse her impulsive outburst. "I'm sorry Donatello" she whispered.

"For what?" I ask her curiously.

"For unraveling like this and keeping you up."

"You know I never sleep Calla especially not at night" I tease her.

"Then I am sorry for whatever I did that made you mad at me. Whatever I did that made you avoid me all this time" she whispered. I nodded, making sure to ignore her apology. She hadn't done anything to make me mad. It was my jealousy for Leo but I couldn't tell her that.
I couldn't tell her the evil thoughts I had seeing Leo violate her or the things I wanted to do to him so she would be free. I couldn't tell her about the feelings in my heart for her.
No...it would scare her away.