59

About a week later

About a week later

Lizabeth

Whenever autobiographies of great rulers and queens emerge, they are always welcomed with the open arms of their adoring fans.
But rarely do you hear the memoirs of their lowly, obedient servants.
We are the very ones who dress them.
Who are present in their weakest moments.
Who embrace their vulnerabilities and guide them to clarity.
Yet, we remain in the shadows.
Never to be heard from or seen.

c'est la vie: That is life as some might say.

I suppose "memoirs of a chambermaid" doesn't sound as nice as "diary of an Empress."

——

"Will this crown suit you empress?" I ask, adjusting it to Calla's freshly dipped braids.

"Yes Elizabeth, thank you," she said almost robotically. It had been only 5 days since Calla's tumultuous return from Spain. The whole empire knew of the empress's sneaky getaway to Spain. Leo had made sure to inform the kingdom, expressing his stance and how he did not encourage it.

"Your hair in loose braids or packed up into a ponytail?"

"Whatever you think best Lizabeth." She said, twiddling her fingers mindlessly. She was too pained with grief to tell me of all that happened in Espana. I knew in due time she would so I thought it best not to pester her.

After a few twists and turns, I decided to put her hair in a high ponytail, letting a few braids fall just above her forehead.

Leo hated when I did them in braids so I thought it best

Leo hated when I did them in braids so I thought it best. It was a style that suited her most, bring out her soft but delicate features.
"All done your majesty".

Calla nodded and walked to the full-length mirror, checking over her figure cautiously.

"You went with the braids? Perfect. Thank you, Lizabeth. Shall we?" She turned to me and forced a smile. I nodded, gathering the end of her dress and escorting her to the balcony where Leo waited for her. They would start their journey there.