58

Please make sure to listen to the YouTube video attached. It fit the vibes of this chapter perfectly! Chefs kiss

Long chapter!
Get some popcorn....and a box of tissues 🤧

——

Calla

Before I could even come to consciousness,  I felt myself being hoisted by a pair of two strong arms. I don't know why I couldn't open my eyes. All I felt was a heavy cloth being pressed below the bridge of my nose. It was soaked in vinegar. Acid maybe? I didn't know what the scent was but it was sharp, pulling me into a forceful sleep.

——-

"No!! no" I groaned, weakly pushing away the hands that held me tight. I was slowly regaining my consciousness.
It was a constant battle between my strength and stamina. I fought so desperately to lift my head, trying to make sense of my surroundings.

"Dona... tello" I groaned, grasping for anything familiar: the thickness of his crisp white shirt or his soft curls.
Something....anything to affirm he was beside me.

I made sure my eyes adjusted to the environment before taking a look around.
I felt heat?
A burning sensation of fire and heat?
And the smell of burning ash?

"Donatello?" I whispered again but instead of a comforting embrace, a rough palm caressed the curve of my cheek.

I came to my feet, finally conscious enough to regain my strength but my body should have collapsed right there. The beautiful winery, the vineyard that Donatello had been working so hard to maintain was in a pathetic pile of ash.

"No!!!" I tried to run and douse the fire but two violent arms held me back, restricting my movement.

"Let go!
Let!! GO" I tried to hit them off but they would not budge.

"Struggling is pointless Calla" Leo's voice sounded from behind me. I try to kick them away but they only held me tighter.

"Leo! Stop thé fire!"

"And miss out on the greatest tax import since Russia joined our treaty?" He chuckled.

I see a group of people running from their houses in their nightgowns, holding buckets, trying to douse the fire out.

"Look at them.
Their youth.
Their livelihoods.
Dying
Disintegrating in flames.
All because of...you?" He gloats, pushing a curl from my face.

Thick warm tears pooled in the rounds of my eyes as I watched the servants face the flames of the fire. They looked tired and sweaty but despite their falling war against fate, that they were still adamant to flame them away.

All of Donatello's hard work
His legacy. The Montonia legacy. Gone.
It was up in flames all thanks to me.

"Please Leo...Stop the fire" I begged, trying to wiggle free.

"I've listened to your pleas once and look where it has gotten me? On a wild goose chase around Europe only to find my wife sleeping with the painter I banned."

"Be mad at me Leo, but to do this to someone you have no motive with is ridiculous?
He has done nothing to you!"

"Where is he by the way?" Leo pouted, looking to the two guards holding me before smiling. He snapped his fingers and immediately they let me go, going behind the carriage parked in the distance. They carry a man that looked beaten from the chest down, dropping him a few feet away from where I stood.