34

Hope y'all don't hate me these next couple of chapters

The book is nearing to a close/ending (soon! Not too soon but soon)

——

Calla

It seemed as if all was well again in the kingdom of Genovia. I gave the baby fox, named Natello which was short for Donatello, to Sarai as a souvenir to take back to Cedonia and made sure to brag to my family and advisors alike how thoughtful the emperor was to allow me to gift it to her.

Leo loved my outspokenness and cherished my humble praise for him. I would miss my family dearly but I was glad I was able to see them in the short amount of time they had spent here.

Donatello stared at me from across the length of the fields as I helped him pick up fruits for his new tonic. 
He was adamant that I must pick the juiciest and ripest of fruits. I enjoyed the time we spent together, but my mind wandered to the unsuspecting plan I would execute tonight. Although it went against everything I believed in, I had to do it; for my well-being and his.

———

"I can't believe you have a vineyard in Spain Donatello. I've never been to one" I admire, holding his hand as we ventured to his room. I had dismissed the guards from following us and made sure to tell Lizabeth to hover near the hallway. Tonight was a special night and I needed it to go perfectly.

We venture to Donatello's room and I see everything spread out across the surfaces. He had brought all his favorite wines and whiskeys, laying them across the wardrobes and tables. I had insisted we do a private tasting so I could experience his whole collection of tonics.

"So that is two things I must show you. My vineyard  and the museum where my art is."

I was excited to begin my sampling and lifted my glass to cheer. We drank freely and carelessly; Donatello consumed more wine than me of course.

"I want to taste the wine called the Calla" I giggle, hugging his neck before he stood and popped open the clear wine. He stumbled over to me and laid across the bed, pouring the brew into my cup. He had made it fresh with orange infused dates and wanted me to taste it.

"Another toast!!" Donatello cheers, pouring the last bit of wine into his glass. "To?"

"A better Genovia!" I finish his words. He cheeses and sips, tossing his head back to empty his glass. I take my glass and politely sip, dipping his head back so I could force him to drink some of mine.

How he loved his brew and of course I would use it to my advantage.

"I just ..thought of a better toast?" He cursed, regretting his words just seconds before.

"Oh?"

"A toast to the future emperess of Genovia!!" He yelled, standing to face the door. I tried to suppress my laughter but couldn't. He was so drunk.