29

3 weeks later

"Come on. I have a surprise for you." Donatello pulls me towards a secret garden near the deserted perimeter of the palace. He guides me into the greenery until we come to a lush enclave with soft white flowers. In its center was a soft white blanket with a tantalizing spread.

"Happy birthday" he smiles, leading me to sit. I am touched of course, seeing all the hard work he had put into making my day special.

"A picnic?" I clap excitedly. It was something so simple yet so endearing.

We broke bread, drinking his new choice selection of wines. "Mmm pomegranates. My favorite flavor"What's It's name?" I turn to him.

"I named it the Calla. It's sweet but briny with hints of pomegranate. Reminds me of something dear."

"Really?" I smile smugly.

"It does. I think it's my favorite flavor out of my assortment" he shrugs, pushing his lips to the glass while exchanging me a knowing glance. I giggled girlishly, still not knowing how to compose myself around him. He always made me so giddy.

Donatello pulls out a small velvet box and presses it to my palm.

"Another gift?" I whisper, resting my head against the soft blankets. He nodded waiting for me to open it. My fingers trailed lazily against the surface before lifting the top.

"Donatello..." I gasped, trying to hold back my tears. In the box was a glossy heart-shaped golden necklace.

In its center was a small clasp to unlock a secret pocket

And in the middle was a tiny inscription carved in the center

"Open this to remind you of everything you cherish." I whisper.

My eyes lift to steal a glance at Donatello before glancing at the locket once more.

He knew.
Of course he knew.
Donatello listened to eveything I said.
Donatello was what I cherished and I would cherish him forever.