71

Calla

The doctor ushered me to the bed to rest and recharge for the day.

"Calla, please rest. You must" he insisted but I waved him off.

He watches me before nodding and leaving the room so I could rest.

——-

Finally, I was left alone.
I knew I wasn't supposed to stand and leave the bed but my impatience got the best of me.
I was ready to see my kingdom.
A better Genovia. Today, tomorrow, forever.
I could not stay restricted in this room.
I refused.

I pull the covers off my body before standing from my bed. I walk over to the unknown babe in the golden cradle, gifted by the King of Germany and play with his tiny hand.

"Calla" the doctor and Lizabeth came in, making sure their prolonged absence wasn't futile.

I smile at them but continue to walk past them, staring at the door.

"Calla...your dress" Lizabeth warns, picking up her pace to match mine.

"Empress, I suggest you rest. We just tore you open"
The doctor follows behind me.

I wave the doctor off. Lizabeth as well.
I was impatient to see my kingdom. Starved.

——-

The guards open the door as I pass them.
My heart raced from nerves. Although i was meant to be queen, I was still hesitant.
Would I be a good queen? Who would guide me if I was led astray?

I push the thoughts to the back of my mind and focus on the path in front of me.

My heart no longer races, it swells as I see a bounty of people.
My people.
The people watch me in silence, staring at my blood soaked dress. They didn't know whether to watch me or aide me. I could tell some of them were proud. Others were unsettled. The lines in the kingdom had been drawn and some were on the wrong side.

Down the hallway I went with my head held high.
There were a few smiles from the women and a few 
Clapping from some men.
Many kneeled and some waved.

In my blood stained dress, I greeted them with warm regard.
I didn't care for the blood soaked clothes, for they were proof of my stregnth and endurance.

I remain with them a few moments before heading back to my own room.
I was eager to see my daughter.
Oh how beautiful she would be!
Curls like Donatello and brown eyes to match his.

I walk in and assess my room.
"Where is she?
Lizabeth where is she!!" I yell to an empty room.

Lizabeth comes from the shadows with the most beautiful babe in her arms. She was crying, as babies do.

I take a step closer, hesitant to hold her in my hands. Lizabeth places her in my arms and instantly I knew that she was mine.
Her skin was rich as umber. And her lips perfectly curled.
And two dimples! They were the deepest dimples I had seen. She was perfect.

"She's beautiful!" I shower her with kisses. My tears flowed as the quickly as the waves of Genovia. There was no doubt in my mind she belong to Donatello.

"Where is the doctor.
Oh, I must thank him!

"Calla." Lizabeth frowns.

"What? What?"

The doctor comes into my room a few moments later frowns. He had a blue test tube in his hand and frowned.

"My queen.... the results of paternity are in."

——-

"So Donatello is not the father?" I looked down at the gentle soul. She was beautiful. Although I loathed Leo, I could not lie that we made a beautiful babe.

"So what now?" The doctor asks, watching me carefully as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"I tell Leo the truth. I gave him an heir"

"She's a woman" Lizabeth reminded me.

"Who says an heir can't be women?
There is no law"

The little babe yawns, finally fatigued from her crying.

"Thank you doctor.
I promise I will have all my men surrounding you. You will not perish for aiding me."

"Thank you your majesty but I cannot take all the credit" he smiles before stealing a glance at Lizabeth.

"What?" I smile turning over to watch her.

"I did it." Lizabeth smiled. So she was the cunning master mind after all!
I walk over and hug her, feeling her warmth between my arms. "You are not my friend, you are my sister."
The baby wines, breaking the distance between us.
I look down at the swaddle and smile.

"Have you found out a name?" Lizabeth smiles, pressing the baby's cheek.

"Yes.
Her name is Elizabeth"

Shock fills Lizabeth's face as she hears the title.

"Calla no!!"

"Lizabeth. You are my friend. My sister. It is an honor. Because of you, my flame burned bright."

She claps excitedly and hugs me before pressing her forehead against the babe. "Thank you empress." She takes the baby from my arms and coos it to sleep.

I make my way to the bed and sit at it's edge before looking around my room. I watched  the doctor and Lizabeth as they played with my kin.

Although her father was Leo, I would love her none the less. I would teach her science and the arts and culture. How to treat other with respect and dignity; love.

Oh there was so much people to reconnect with!
I must write letters to my family and Sarai!
Oh she would love the baby as if it were own!
They  must visit me soon.

And Donatello was coming to meet me. I knew he would be upset at the trick of paternity but we would make a baby of our own. With his consent of course.

I step out to my balcony, taking in the vast space of the land called Genovia, looking out to where the mountains met the sea.

I close my eyes and smile, thinking back to that fated carriage ride.
I remembered the knots in my stomach churning, wondering if I would be a good match for Genovia. Whether the kingdom would embrace me with open arms.
Whether I would make my mark?

I remembered the day like it was yesterday. When that crown kissed the skin of my head.
That when I knew I was meant to do this.

But there was something I didn't know that day; that my flame had been ignited.

My flame burned and burned bright, for a better Genovia,
       Today, tomorrow, and forever.

The End
Copyright © 2023
An uncouthwriter original

Author NOTE:

Thank you for being patient with me as always! Love y'all!
Epilogue coming soon!