46

Calla

I pull my gloves a little bit tighter, waving to the King of Germany and his wife Queen Klara.

What a grand time Germany was!

The king was nothing like emperor Leonardo. He ruled with dignity and held a theory in autonomy for all, a concept foreign to Leo.

"I do hope I made a good impression Oslo." I push my back against the velvet cushion of the carriage. In the future, when I become the sole ruler of Genovia, I would need every country as an ally. Having a country as grand as powerful as Germany backing Genovia would prove beneficial in the long run.

"The king could not take his eyes from you, Empress. Believe me when I say you made quite the impression" he teased. I took relish in his reassuring praise and sat up straighter, hitting the side of the carriage so we could travel onward.

"And now? Spain!" Oslo announced, sitting back in his chair to study his novel. Although he seemed calm, I knew he was nervous about my abrupt change of plans. He was already in Leo's bad graces for shooting him in the ass, so he truly had nothing to fear. He knew he should be dead by now, so him going along with my plan should be reasonable.

He had been looking at volumes on life in Spain, learning more about agriculture and scenery. Perhaps he was planning on buying some property to stay? Oslo was relieved of course since he did not have to face Leo's wrath.

The trip would be long so I made sure to pass the time reading my favorite books and doing small little crafts like pillow crafting and quilt work. It was boring, but it calmed my spirits. I was a bit nervous, I could not lie. I had told the king of Germany we had to cut the trip short to return to Genovia and take care of Leo but in reality, I cut it short to travel to Spain.

That was the plan. 1 week in Germany then 2 weeks in Spain.

I was a bit sad Lizabeth couldn't join us. Dr. Jude begged her to stay behind and show him the ropes of the palace. Leo insisted she stay as well but I knew it was a precautionary measure by him just in case Lizabeth inspired me to take a trip to freedom.

"50 miles left empress!" Joffree sounded, waking me from a lazy nap. I lift my head from the window pane and smirk, taking in the rich scenery of the Spanish countryside. How magnificent it looked! Rich green hills filled with beautiful houses of white. It was a dream.

It had been 5 months since I had last seen Donatello and I was fearful. Fearful he would forget me? Afraid his feelings for me would be gone. What if he had fallen in love with someone else? No...he couldn't.

The sharp punches of the babe vibrate against my belly. "Ou!!" I cursed, holding my stomach and wincing as I feel the kicks.

"Are you okay Empress?" Oslo sits up, awaking from my shouts of pain. I nodded silently forcing a timid smile.

"I'm fine Oslo. Just butterflies" I lied, looking out the window. I had to conceal my belly. Lizabeth made sure to pack some dresses that were loose and unstitched in the waist. I hadn't told anyone else about the heir to Genovia besides Lizabeth and Dr. Jude. I wanted to tell Donatello first. He had the right to know, it was his child.

"Are you sure empress?" Oslo asks again, pushing his spectacles to his nose. He observed me carefully, concerned by my apprehensive state.

"I am fine Oslo, thank you" I whisper, looking to the window again.

"I am coming for you Donatello" I whisper to myself, pushing my palm to my small pocket where I had hidden the necklace Donatello had given me.

——