69

Calla

"When I tell you to push Calla? push!" The doctor says patiently as he opens my legs to begin. I felt a searing pain once more but nodded, biting down on the rag Lizabeth had put in my mouth.

"1-2-3
push"

"Ahhhhhh!!!!" I scream. Lizabeth holds out her hand so I could grab it.

"How smart of you empress! You plan the coupe on the day of your child's birth. What could possibly go wrong?"

"PUSH!" The doctor commands once more.

"Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!" The pain was lethal as the baby started to pop out.

"How was I supposed to know?" I shot back, biting on the rag once more.

"Push!!!" the doctor says again.

"Ahhhhhhh!!!!" My screams were even louder this time.

Lizabeth wiped my brow from the sweat but still continued her tirade. "And to my suprise hes not even dead!!
You did not slit his throat!" She yelled.

"Push Calla!" The doctor instructs.

"Ughhhhhhhhhhh" I scream again, pushing with all my strength. The pain was unbearable.

"He hasn't breached yet. We're going to need to open the stomach empress"

"What? Breach? What does—
No..no!!" I try to sit up but Lizabeth pushes me back.

"I'll tell Leo" the doctor says, running to the door to alert him. He opens it quickly before whispering a few quick instructions. He shuts the door and locks it before giving Lizabeth a strange look. I could not decipher it but I was in too much pain.

"Lizabeth get me a hot rag and the tonic.
I will need your help." He rolls up his sleeves, preparing his station to open me up.

"Calla"  he walks over to me, holding my hand.

"No.
No? But"

"Shh shhh. Empress, you will be fine"

"No..no ..my baby—"

"Calla look at me!" He holds my arms, staring into my eyes. "Everything will be okay. You're going to go to sleep and then everything will be done. You'll have your happy and healthy baby"

"No! no, I don't want that l!" I screamed.
He pulls a needle out his bag and lifts it to the light.
"It will all be over soon."

"But James!!
The coupe... the coupe"

"Empress, do you trust me?" He looks into my eyes. The soft green of his pupils lulled me into a stupor of trust.
I nod and close my eyes, pushing my arm out so he could prick it. He pushes the needle into my arm, and I feel myself being pulled into a deep sleep.

I hear another boom and a few gunshots before I fall into a sea of complete blackness.

——-

"Wahhh!
Wahhh!"

The loud cries of an inconsolable baby pulls me awake. Slowly, I sit up and wait for my eyes to adjust to the room. I see Lizabeth in the corner, rocking a swaddled baby, humming it to sleep.

"My baby?" I whisper, trying to find my strength to stand. "Lizabeth! Lizabeth" I whisper

"She's awake James!" She says before smiling.
She comes over to the bed pushes the babe to my chest, pressing the head against mine.

It had bright brown hair. It looked curly then straight. I couldn't see the color of its eyes and the skin looked pale.
I was starting to worry...

"It's a boy Calla"

I smile, then frown.
On one hand, I was happy. Having a boy meant that I had fulfilled my duty for being brought here. But having a heir to the throne meant if the baby wasn't Donatello's, the heir would be a direct line of Leo's and I could no longer be queen.

I kissed the babes head.
I would love him either way.

"Has Leo seen him?" I ask the doctor.

"Yes.
He was joyous to say the least. Now he is trying to dismantle the coupe" the doctor smiles. I think he was trying to stop his eyes from rolling back.

"Please say his efforts have been futile?"

"Yes" Lizabeth answers. She helped me as I tried to make the baby latch onto my breast to feed.

"Have you thought of a name?" She asks.

"It depends on who the father is..." I think aloud.
She smirks as she watches the baby suck on my breast selfishly. I felt bad that I didn't feel connected to my babe. Maybe it was a normal feeling for first time mothers. Maybe I should tell this to James.

"Lizabeth where's the doctor?" I ask.

"He is cleaning his tools." Her eyes were diverted. I knew she wasn't being truthful.

"Lizabeth. Be truthful. Where is he"

She presses her thumbs together as she watches me. "Calla, before you freak out—"

"Where is he?!"

"Shhh...lower your voice." She warns. She pretends to pick something off the floor to crouch near me. "This is not your baby"

"WHAT!!!"

"Shhhhh...." She flairs her fingers to quiet me.
I try to remain calm and listen. I had so much to learn.

The baby starts to cry but I push my breast closer so he could suckle it.

"What do you mean this isn't my baby!"

"Your baby is a girl."

"A girl" I smirk and an air of relief washes over me.

"She's with the doctor. He switched it so Leo would not be suspicious.
She is a beautiful little girl."

I nodded trying to not to cry.

"Who does he look like?" I whisper impatiently. I needed to know who the father was.

"Well the doctor took a hair from Leo to test the baby's paternity, but if it's up to me, there is no doubt that he is Donatello's"

My heart rejoices with the recent news.
A little girl! And her father would be Donatello! What a smart baby it would be.

"When can I see her?" I smile.

"Soon. As for now? Rest. You were wonderful" she smiles before bending down to kiss my forehead. She closes the curtains surrounding the bed and leaves me once more to rest.