63

Calla

General Joffre was the last to arrive at the forgotten ballroom in the west wing of the palace. He looked sweaty, most likely from combat practice. The doctor was the first to arrive at the secret meeting of the "white cherry assassins." That is the name I had given to our little group. I thought it was quite clever.

Next, Oslo came in, and Lizabeth was second to me he last. We gathered around the fire in the sprawling room.

"Sorry I am late. Early morning practice"General J'offre sighs, pulling off is armor. He takes a chair from the wall and pushes it into our little circle.

"That is fine General. You've read my letter?" I ask him.

"Yes" he looked away nervously.

"So?" I hang on his silence. It was making me nervous.

"Calla.... we have attempted this before. Remember? We conversed over cofee? The signal we created"

"General... that was a different time under harsher circumstances."

He looked out the window.

"Think of the opportunity that has landed into our laps.
The Outright rejection of the godhead?
Leo's declaration of resistance equating to defiance? It is as of God has given us a timid dove with a branch in its mouth.
This is our time to act!"

"The empress is right!" Oslo stood, making sure to express his support.

"I suggested we kill him in his sleep and look how long that has taken?" Lizabeth grumbled, crossing her hands above her chest. Must she always be so blunt?

"Maybe this will be the easier route? Now that there is a clear reason one might start an opposition?" the doctor declares.

J'offre hums looking at Oslo then Elizabeth then at the doctor before finally peering at me.

"A coupé?"

"The grandest coupé! Has it ever been done?" I stand, walking over to the flames of the fire.

"Once" Joffre hums, running his stubble.

"And it's outcome?" I whisper, refusing to face them; his tone was a segue to the answer.

"It failed" he mutters. I still ponder, looking into the fire.

"We will claim victory.
We must." I turn around to face the three of them, staring into their eyes with sincerity.
"For Genovia"

"And what if we fail?" General Joffre says, weighing the costs of a defiance to the emperor.

"We don't have that option General
We cannot fail.
We we must not."

He stands from his chair, towering over my stature before looking down at my stomach. I hold it, staring into his bright green eyes.

He would not deter my decision, no matter how easily he towered over me.

"I will talk to my men; only to the good soldiers. The ones I can trust.
Those who are tired and weary."

I smile and nod, lifting my hand so he could shake it. It was a verbal agreement. It wasn't a promise of devotion but a promise to try.

I separate from him and walk to the center of the room, pacing around the semicircle of chairs.
Amongst us three, there is still so much work to do. We must gather a crowd. "

"Of course. There is strength in numbers" The doctor says, standing before casually walking over to the door to listen for any wandering voices beyond the hallway.

"We need support! Persons who will rally behind the Leo's dethronement!" Oslo proclaims.

"That should be easy!" I defended.

"It should but it won't be." Lizabeth snaps us back to reality. "People despise Leo, but they are too scared to defy him.
They fear death more than they fear him"

"Then we must change that" I nod. Lizabeth was right. The people were not scared of pissing off Leo. They were fearful of the mayhem he would bring into their lives if they defied him.

General Joffre nodded and smirked. "The wife of the emperor planning a coupe against him? I thought I've seen it all." He lets a lazy chuckle slip his lips.

I smirked happy he was on board.

"We will meet in three days time again to update our progress. We must rally men, women, even children." Oslo says.

"Three days." I say.
"Three days" The General and doctor said.
"Three days" Lizabeth nodded.

The Oslo said his adieus before exiting the room.
First Oslo left, then the general.

Elizabeth waits for me to follow but I encourage her to go on. I needed to speak with the doctor. Alone.

"Before you go" I call the doctor halting his departure. He turns on his heel and sits in the chair across from me.

"My baby ...I am glad you said it is healthy." I swallow back a sliver of vomit. My nerves were making me nauseous.

"Yes, it will be a strong one.
Resilient like it's mother." He winks.

I smile pressing my palm against ny stomach. "There seems to be a bit of a dilemma doctor."

"Oh? Is the baby not turning? The kicks are violent in the first trimester but once you—"

"Not that dilemma doctor.
Another one with grave concerns."

—-

"So you slept with Leo?" The doctor hums.

"Unwillingly. Rape some might call it"

"Of course, of course" he nods, understanding immediately.

"And during this time, Donatello...well he was my lover so..." I refused to tell him how I truly been inseminated.

"Say no more." He holds up his palm, excusing himself from the more intimate details. "So you need me to find the paternity? "

"Well...yes but I also need you to.....kidnap my baby."

"I beg your pardon?" He looked flabbergasted.

"You've met Donatello before?"

"In passing. Nice fellow"

"Appearance wise...his skin is tan and his hair curly. Leo is the complete opposite...in every way imaginable. Paternity of the baby will be obvious so I need a fake baby.
A baby that will look like a blend of Leo and I.
Just in case."

"Calla.." the doctor whispers, pushing his head into his palms. He looked stressed.
"Give me a pale baby. One with blue eyes instead of green. I don't care! Leo wouldn't know the difference either way"

"Empress ...you're asking me to play God?" He lifts his hands to the sky in defeat. I knew my request was ludicrous but I needed to ask.

"Leo does it? Why can't you doctor?" I return.
He pushes his palms to his forehead thinking of the absurdity of it all.

lWhere will I find a baby who is pale but mixed. Who looks like a blend of both Leo and you" he stands, kicking a foot against the wooden leg of the chair.

"He must also be a male."

"Empress! These are impossible demands."

"I know it is far stretched... but I believe in you. You are the best doctor in Genovia and I am sure Leo's father asked you to do stranger things when he was in power" I hinted. Now it was my turn to blink.

He smirked, reminiscing on the times he had in the palace.

"Fine. I will try"

"Oh thank you!" I hug him.

"Try! You have sent me on impossible task."

"Like a needle in a haystack" I teased. "I believe in you doctor!" I yell to him as I dashed out to start my days of duties.