49

Calla

Donatello and Laura Isabel sat in the middle of the alcove, Donatello leaning against the stone of a tall water well. They were in an deep embrace, Donatello looking into her eyes and smiling.

He takes her hand and places soft delicate kisses against each finger before separating and pulling away.

I couldn't help the frown that filled my face.
There was no love.
No warmth.
The way he looked at her was not the same way he looked at me. It was as if he was forcing himself to love her? But why?

"What are we looking at?" A husky voice sounded behind me. It was an unfamiliar one but I did not entertain it. I was too focused on spying on the two of them.

"Are you looking at the sky? The ground?" They ask again.

"I am looking at...Nothing" I lied, "I am just curious"

"Curious? For what?" The voice still pestered.

"The well. I heard it is filled with wishes" I beamed with false excitement. I do wish the voice would go away.

"It seems to me that you fancy Donatello??" That was the final straw for my patience. A heavy breath escapes my lips before turning around to meet the voice. To my surprise, it belonged to someone foreign. A stranger I had never seen.
He was a pretty thing to look at. He looked a bit older than Donatello, but still young enough to pass for a flirt.

"Who are you?" He asked me, trapping me against the tree. Both his arms were taut at my side.

"Do not worry about it. As a matter of fact, pretend as if I was never here. Now shoo!" I push him away. I had no time for the impractical prospects of a suitor.

Donatello was all I yearned for.

He only smiled, ignoring my command, and peeked around the tree with me, towering over me again.
"They make a good couple." He chimes. I could hear his smile.

"How do you know?" I crouch lower so I could see them more clearly.

"Just look at how he stares at her.
His eyes are alert. His chest open with pride.
And look at her!
She has that glow!"

"Anyone can have that glow. I think they are quite different sir" I did not care to learn his name. He was not part of my movement to win Donatello's affections so I did not care.

"And why do you care? You rather spy on a taken man than entertain the company of a lonely man like me?" He chuckled a bit louder.

"Shh!!! You will expose us" I hit him away.

"Maybe I should call for him. Surely your curiosity can be answered? DONATE—-" I hit him again, pushing him against the tree but it was too late. Donatello snapped his head from his fiancé and turned to watch me.

I let out a yelp, pulling away from the trunk of the tree before hiding. "Oh no, I think he saw us. Whether it was you I do not know

The strange man smiled and stared into my eyes. "Do you care if he saw you?"

"Yes! I am not supposed to be here!"

"So you are spying?" The man clarified. He was grinding my nerves. Who was he?

I peaked around and saw him kiss Isabel goodbye.  He lit a cigarette, laughing to himself before starting his trek to the tree. 

 My hands start to perspire with each calculated step

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

My hands start to perspire with each calculated step. "Oh no! He is coming over here!
Quick! Do you know him, sir?"

"Actually? I am very good friends with the painter."

"Okay good! Tell him it was only you behind here. I will escape as you distract him!"

The man chuckled and nodded. "Are you that bold to assume I would do this favor for you? I don't even know your name?" He frowns, looking down to observe my features. Ah! So he had a little crush on me?

I rolled down the sleeve of my gloves, gently pushing a naked palm against his chest. "Would you do it for me? Please?"  I batted my eyelashes unmistakably. He did not know me, nor my name, but what he could see was that I was still a woman.

He chuckled and nodded, looking over my features again.

He stepped from beyond the tree with wide-open arms. "Donatello!! My good friend!" He yelled.

Perfect! Now was my chance to escape! I gathered the ends of my dress, bracing myself for my escape.

"What brings you hear Picazzo?"

I lifted a palm to my mouth, cursing at the title that was associated with the strange man.
That was Picazzo?
The famous Picazzo? The man whose paintings I adored so much?

"Donatello. A woman is standing behind that tree? She is a beautiful woman but maybe a bit touched?" He tattles.

That snitch!

He was supposed to distract him for me! Picazzo would not hear the end of my mouth. How dare he expose my hiding place?

"Is that so? And how did this woman look like?" He played along, exhaling a thick cloud of smoke. Donatello knew it was me behind the tree. There was no way he didn't see me.

"To be quite honest, she looked like the empress you painted. I remember the canvases from your studio. You captured her beautifully might I add" he bragged.

There were a few chuckles and hushed conversation before silence again. I tried to peek from behind the tree but was met by Donatello's tall stature.

"Oh! Donatello, I did not even see you there!" I try to not look flustered. Picazzo comes behind him and smirks.

"Hmm, now I wonder if you are empress of Genovia or a really a spy"Donatello pries, taking another huff from his cigarette.

"A spy? I giggled nervously I was caught. No. I needed to walk to the well over there but I didn't want to intrude on you and—" my voice lowered to an uncomfortable tone.

"I tried to charm her Donatello but she seems to have eyes for you" Picazzo teased. Picazzo was a wonderful painter but my goodness was his mouth big!

"Is that so?" Donatello chuckled,

"Oh. Don't be a trickster Sir Picazzo!
I was simply taking in the scenery" I explained, trying to excuse my prying.  Donatello flashed his handsome smile , looking into my eyes.

" I did not know the great Picazzo was a snitch" I muttered beneath a flustered breath, loud enough for both men to hear. They both chuckled and smiled at each other.
Donatello throws his cigarette to the ground before leading the two of us down the path. We walked the length of the spacious garden before stopping at the fountain.

" I told you you would meet him soon empress l. He frequents here." Donatello explains, leaning against the stone wall of the well.

"Sorry empress, I do like to have a little fun" he stops in his path, pulling my hand to kiss it. "Please do not hold a grudge against me"

I look at him and nodded, peering over at Donatello. He was quiet but nodded, signaling me to forgive him.
Of course I listened to Donatello and smiled, accepting Picazzo's apology.

"Come. I want to show you something." Donatello extended an arm. I reached out to grab it excitedly. 
We walked arm in arm, whispering and giggling in jovial conversation.

"And what about me!" Picazzo announced rather annoyingly. Could he not take a hint to leave us alone?

"I will see you at dinner friend." Donatello hinted before leading me away.

I wondered what he wanted to show me?