9

I travel through the polished hallways with my head held high, walking beside Lizabeth as we ventured through the palace. I would not let my bruises and soreness get the best of me, especially after freshly arriving at Genovia.

I was the empress of Genovia and had so many things to worry about like adjusting to palace life, learning my duties, and most significantly, getting more intimate with Leo.

"You know Lizabeth, I was thinking?"

"About what empress?" she queries, playing with the ends of her corset; it looked uncomfortable on her.

"I think my problem is I don't know the emperor and he does not know me. Surely if we understood each other's likes and dislikes, then we could bond and grow closer"

"I suppose so empress," Lizatbeh says, still keeping her pace beside me. A collection of characters littered the hallways, each patron nodding their heads to me in acknowledgment.

"I can certainly get used to this aspect" I smirked, adjusting my crown in contentment.

"Oh" Lizabeth breathed, looking at me for my choice of confession.

"People in my village used to do anything to avoid my gaze, but here? It seems as if everyone is desperate for it" I admitted with merriment.

"I see" Lizabeth says, carefully following behind me as I turned another corner. She was not a woman of many words but I was still ever so curious to know her. It would have to be at a later time though. My sole focus was on bonding with the emperor. "Is Leo having breakfast now?"

"Yes, but he usually has it alone," Lizabeth responded.

"Wonderful! I will greet him and surprise him. Maybe then I can learn more about him?"

"The emperor doesn't like being disturbed at his meal times," Lizabeth says, stopping in her tracks to meet my gaze.

"Oh, surely that is a myth! Plus, I am his new wife Lizabeth. He will not mind. Take me to the room at once"

She looked to the floor but nodded at my words. "As you command empress" she sighed gently turning me around and guiding me past a few of the many rooms that littered the structure. I enter into the room she pushed me through and see him sitting in his chair devouring a hefty plate of food. He refused to look up as I entered in.

"Good morning Leo," I say, standing frozen in my spot, watching him while he ate. He ignored me still, choosing instead to devour his food. I take a seat at the edge of the table, sitting adjacent to him at the long table.

"I suppose having breakfast is one thing we can cherish?"I say, trying to make conversation. He leaned back in his seat, forcing his gaze to land onto me. "Did they not tell you how I cherish my breakfasts alone and in SILENCE" he sighs, placing heavy emphasis on his words.

"Well...I thought this would be a new tradition? A time where we could bond and pick apart each other's minds. I barely know anything about you except for the letters you wr--"

"Letters?" he smirked, trying to hold back his laughter.

"Yes..Letters! Was it not you that sent me three separate notes detailing your love for me? Vowing to let our flame of love ignite into a blaze of passion. How do you not remember?" I ask, interested in his lapse of memory.

A comical smile painted his lips before he looked down at his plate whilst shaking his head. "You're so inane" he scoffed beneath a lazy breath.

"Pardon?" I reply, not quite catching his grumbling.

"I didn't write those letters. It was probably Ystev or Egon?" he shrugged, grabbing his fork and knife once more.

"But...why would they do that?" I mumble, trying so hard to hold back my sentiments.

"Maybe to make you excited about your permanent stay at Genovia which I see has obviously worked" he taunted before continuing on with his meal.

I frowned, observing him as he ate. I couldn't believe I was falling in love with the letters of a man that didn't even write them.

No matter!

This new revelation would not discourage me. I had dealt with worse news before. "Well, now seeing the letters were not from you, I suppose you know more than me? So now it is my turn to learn more about you emperor?" I said matter of factly.

He stopped eating and finally looked up at me, licking each of his fingers in greed. "What do you want to know about me?" he says, chugging the pitcher of juice beside him.

"Well... what are your interests? Your favorite books and music? What are your aspirations as an emperor?" I asked, eager to hear his responses. He pondered my words and stood, nodding his head while considering each answer.

"My favorite interests? Fucking" he shrugged nonchalantly, pushing his glass to the floor and breaking it. "I don't read books. I find them boring and unimaginative" he bragged, walking to where I sat at the end of the table. "And my aspirations as emperor?" he said, making sure he was clear with his words. With each step, he came closer and closer to until he lifted me from the chair, pulling me into his arms and tracing a finger against my lips. I was frozen at his blunt affection but chose to remain calm. "Maybe to fuck you in every room in this palace?" he breathed against my neck before bending me over the table and gently pulling me against his fervor.

Again, I try to express some sort of protest but I was paralyzed with fear. I could feel his grin against my neck, taking relish in my frozen state.

He pulled my dress to the side to expose my skin, eager to pounce. "Emperor Leo" I grumbled, trying to push him away. I was still sore from yesterday night but of course, he didn't care. He grasped my waist with force, coaxing me to remain still as he pulled away his pants. Just before he fully entered, a guard came in, bursting through thé doors. "Emperor Leonardo, word just came from the North" the man said.

"Fuck" Leo cursed, finally letting me go, more annoyed at the guard's interruption than my protest. I pulled to the other side of the table in haste, watching him carefully as he drunk another cup of wine.

"Look! Now you scared her!" he frowns scolding the man that came in. He steps over to me and crouches on bended knee, kissing each one of my feet. "I apologize, Empress," he says.

Leo looks at me, waiting for my response of forgiveness. I look at him then at the guard before me. "It is...fine... I'm fine."

"No, it is not fine Calla, but of course, you would not understand this." Leo fumed, pulling off a long sword from the wall and crashing it into the guard's chest.

I held my hand over my mouth, trying so hard to stifle the gasp that flew from my mouth. The guard's eyes rolled backward and with one final breath, he collapsed to the floor.

Dead

"Oh wait? I wonder what news he had to tell me?" Leo sighs, kicking the lifeless body in an attempt to wake him up. "Oh well," he chuckled, dropping the sword to the floor. He wiped his hands clean of the splattered blood, shoving two more pieces of bacon into his mouth before looking at me. "I seemed to have answered all your stupid questions?" he asked, making sure to tower over me.

I had no clue what kind of marriage I had gotten myself into...or the type of man Leo truly was. Was Cassandra right? Maybe he was a loon?

"Yes." was all I could muster up the courage to say as he stared me down.

"Good" he nodded before pushing past me; leaving the room to do whatever emperors like him did.

-----------------------------

Author Note:

On a scale of 1 to crazy, what would you rate Leo.

When do you think Calla is going to snap?