60

Leonardo

After one final wave from the balcony near the west wing and a patient kiss on Calla's stomach we bid the roaring crowds adieu. The doors were closed, barring us from the outside world.

"I thought the day would never end" Calla sighed, turning around and throwing her crown to the lounge chair that greeted us at the end of the hallway.
She took solace in its comfortability before looking into my eyes. "So this it for today right? I'm exhausted!" She gathers her dress and starts walking away.

"Calla wait!" I didn't know why I just blurted the command so desperately. She turns to face me once again.

"Calla— I" I grabbed her waist, gently running a palm against her cheek.

"Leo...please...." She cursed, trying to move her jaw away from my grip. She was so repulsed by my presence, even my touch made her retract with disgust.

"Calla ...I—I—-" but before I could find the words to say, Ystev barges in.

"Emperor Leonardo!!!" The priest rushes in, bowing once he saw Calla within my reach.

"Oh...Sorry to interrupt your excellence." 

"Hello to you too Ystev" she grumbles, falling into the lounge chair once more.

"Could it wait Ystev? I was in the middle of something important."

"No it cannot wait! The Church of England has just declared ultimate divinity to be a self serving concept"

"Okay? And?" I huff, staring at him impatiently. What England did in their churches was no concern of mine.

"The concept of godhead is essentially... void. It goes against the very construct of the sanctity of a higher power. "

"I see this does not involve me so I will go" Calla frowns, standing from the chair and turning on her heel before leaving me alone with Ystev.

"Great now she was gone!" I moaned, pushing my arms over my chest. I was trying to rekindle the love between Calla and I and Ystev was getting in the way.

Ystev continued with his dismal news but I was growing impatient. "Before I turn 19 Ystev!!" I cut him off.

"Well ... essentially, the people can either lean left and take the stance of the church or lean right and still uphold the sanctity of the godhead"

"In layman's term Ystev! What does that mean for me?"

He stared at the floor before twirling his thumbs.
"Welll... again...it's up to the people and given the circumstances—-"

"Out with it you rat!!!" I shouted. Ystev would jabber on for a century.

"The people can revolt against you and face no consequences"

Resentment and fear fester in my heart as I hear Ystev's confession.
"No consequences? Says who?"

"Well...the Church of England and the factions that—-"

"Shut the F*CK up Ystev!"He latches onto silence.

"I am a fair and just king!"

"Of course—"

"I said shut UP!" I snapped. Ystev bowed his head low. He knew it was my turn to speak.

"Surely the people wouldn't lead a revolt against the godhead." He was silent, watching me with timid eyes.

"Make an announcement.
A decree.
Anyone who decides to revolt against the reigning godhead of Genovia, will be killed."

Author note:
Wouldn't it be a shame if someone lead a revolt against the godhead?? Hmmmm