32

Calla

"Calla?" Sarai shouts from across my room. She had been buried beneath a mountain of papers at my desk, writing and crumbling a pile of fresh scrolls.

"Yes Sarai?" I say, closing my eyes as my maiden made up my face. I wanted to look good if I spotted Donatello today, plus, I had a meeting with the general. He had returned a day earlier than intended which was better for the coupe.

"I think am in love with Donatello" Sarai proclaims. I snap from my chair and turn around to face her. She must be speaking of another Donatello.l? Certainly not mine.

"Think?" I repeated after her, stressing for her clarification.

"No... I know I am sure of it. I love him"  she proclaims cheerily.

"Surely you are not Sarai! You just met him? You have only known him for a day!" I remind her trying to steer her ideas into more sane ones.

"I am and I will marry him when I am old enough"

"Sarai! Since when do you so easily fall in love? You were a stickler for my fairy tales and such."

"Since he told me "it is a date" she sighs, holding the letter against her chest.... this looked all to familiar...

Oh! Of course it did!
This was the same picture that accompanied me when I came to Genovia....and before I met Leo.

How foolish was I? But even then, I couldn't blame her, for she had good taste. Donatello was a fine fellow; clever and charming while being utterly unaware of it. A woman cold not resist falling for his character.

She finishes writing her letter and seals it. "There! For Donatello Maltoya"

"How do you know his last name???" I stand, walking over to snatch the letter from her hand.

She backed away from my reach before running to the bed. "I can ask around, can't I? Why do you care?" She pouted, glaring at her suspiciously. My mother let out a breathy chuckle from the corner she retired before lifting her eyes to face mine.
"Tell her," they said but I didn't listen. I couldn't tell Sarai; not now...

"Where is Donatello? I want to hand-deliver this letter to him."I rolled my eyes as she showed off the letter to my mother. Sarai was in for a surprise. I would tell her soon.

"He is all the way across the palace. You have to walk a mile away from here"

"Then I will walk!" She jumps up from the bed and skips to the doors. My handmaidens dress me in an elegant gown before turning to place my crown.

"I am going to see him as just after you. I can deliver the letter on your behalf?" I suggest charmingly.

"You are? Why?" she squints again. She was a nosey little sister today!

"Well... he is a painter!" I lied, "And I need him to do portraits for the palace. Here I'll take it sister" I reach out to grab it but she snaps her hand away and pushes it behind her back.

"No! no! I will do it!" she pouts, fixing her shirt black curls before shooting through the doors. I snap my fingers twice to signal a guard to follow her.

"What are we going to do about that?" My mother smiles, pushing the book in her hand beside her.

"Nothing" I shrugged. "Donatello will let her down easy"

"Why don't you just tell her?  She is your sister?"

"Should I? I feel as if she'll be offended or not care. Sarai doesn't stop once her mind is set on something."