52

Calla

I wake up the next day, feeling a little bit better. I wondered why Donatello had come to check up on me last night, even after I had told him I was fine.
Perhaps he knew?

I had decided before my sleep to tell Donatello my truth. Not only had Ms. Montonia persuaded me, but Picazzo.
My rouge had gone on far enough.

I sat up from the covers, lifting my arms and stretching them to the skies. Perhaps I would eat breakfast before I searched for Donatello.

Just as I begin my descent from the bed, I see a bright crisp note on my dresser.

Empress,
Meet me at the city center at 10am sharp. Do wear comfortable clothing,
Gloria

I smiled at the pleasant note. I didn't not know if I could trust Ms. Montonia just yet. I wished to, ever so much, but knew my willingness in accepting people kindness had gotten me into trouble in the past. I was hesitant trusting people since Vanessa and Leo.

Strangely enough, Ms Montonia had a different air to her. She was pleasant and her heart seemed genuine; she was more open with her intentions.

I picked out the prettiest green dress that highlighted the rich color of my tone. The fabric was synched in the waist; it still showed off my curves while hiding my bump. Hopefully I would see Donatello today. I would hate to waste such a pretty dress.

——

"We are here empress" Joffre announced. stopping the carriage just near the city center. He helped me down the short steps, escorting me through the bustle and excitement of the crowds.

Of course I had confessed to Joffre(the general)  about my rouge. He was the only man that could successfully carry out the coupe. I had told a lot of people of my rouge; Lizabeth, Oslo, Ms. Montonia... amongst many others.

The only person left to tell was Donatello.

"She said she would be here by 11? Wherever could she possibly be?" I cursed, tiptoeing to look above the height of the crowds. The city center was decorated in festive fashion. Small games of tricks were scattered across the grounds while tents and carts filed with craftspeople littered the center. I saw Donatello in the distance near a tent, bending over a small bin of paints?

But why was he here?

"Donatello?" I stood behind him, making sure to keep my distance. I wasn't sure if Laura was at his heel.

"Empress?" He turned around and smiled staring me down. "Empress? What a pleasure seeing you here" I blushed and smiled girlishly.

"How are you? I mean..since last night?" There was concern in his voice.

"Better. In better spirits as well. Thank you." I nodded. I look down to the set of paints in his hands and giggled. "What are you doing here?"

"Well my mother said to meet here for a day of errands?"

"Really?"

He hummed, gently pushing the paints to the table to pay.

"Your mother told me the same?" I smirked, relishing in her deception. It was one I did not mind.

"Did she?" He asked, turning around to face me. I pulled out the crinkled letter and showed it to him. He pulled out his own and pressed it into my palms.

We giggled and laughed until we both caught our breaths.

"My dear mother" he sighed, pushing the paints into his leather satchel. I only took in his outfit just now. Gone were the pressed coats and tight handkerchiefs that swallowed his neck, showing off his class. He dawned a soft white blouse, open at the chest with some loose tailored pants. He looked so delicious.