55

Calla

Mrs. Montoria came beside me, perching near the railing that bordered the vineyard gates, joining Oslo and me as we sat in the fields of the orchards. We had taken solace under the shade of the tall trees, just beneath their dense leaves.

"No sign of him?" She sighs, dusting the end of her skirt with annoyance. Some dirt had gotten into its seams.

"No..." I fussed, busying myself with a lone leaf.

"He will not even talk to me" Oslo shrugged, fumbling with a wrinkled scroll of some kind.

"I don't know why he's so upset. I told him the truth. I admitted my wrong." I grumbled, still upset he had rebuffed me for a minor inconvenience such as pregnancy.

"I think he's more embarrassed than upset. He thought you were gone Calla..in a sense dead?" Oslo reveals. His words sounded sane, but I did not wish to hear them.

All I could do was remain silent...

"Although he is upset at you. Donatello took his banishment from Genovia very hard" his mother frowns, looking over at me.

"Donatello was banished?"

_____

A few moments later in Donatello's art house

"He would never forgive me if he knew I was showing you this" she smiles, lifting yet another hand-painted portrait of me. I had counted 36 so far and the pile seemed to never cease.
"After you had amnesia, Leonardo escorted him out of Genovia"

"Escorted?" I pondered. She knew how crazy the emperor was.

"More like coerced" Oslo huffed, lifting up another portrait. Ms. Montonia proceeded to tell me everything. (basically the flashback from 2 chapters ago)

"I didn't know....Of course, he would be upset! He had no clue if I was sane or even alive... I--"

"He did not expect you to know empress." She excuses my guilt, grabbing my palms into hers.

"I just which I could tell him...I want to, ever so much! But he won't even listen to me" I place my palm against my stomach, leading her hand against it. "I felt the baby today," I whispered, trying my hardest to hide my glee. Mrs. Montonia leaped with joy, feeling the roundest part of my stomach.

"Tell him what?"  Oslo asks blindly, still counting the pile of portraits.

"Nothing...." I mutter looking to Mrs. Montonia for help. She nodded, understanding the occasion at hand.

"Come Oslo, I'll teach you to make fresh pan Leche. It's a sweet treat for the summer heat"

"Thank you, but I much rather read these letters Donatello has scattered all over the workshop"

"I wasn't asking Oslo. Now come," she says rather sternly. Oslo listened of course not wanting to seem rude. He was so boring reading all the time, stashed away in his room. I had barely seen Oslo since our arrival.

"Empress, you stay and finish sorting through these paintings and then join us" Mrs. Montonia winks before leaving with Oslo by her side.

——

After admiring a bounty of portraits and letters from Donatello, I join Oslo and Mrs. Montonia in the kitchen.

We take the fruits of our labor and go to the small table in the garden, conversing about the city of Espana. Oslo was excited to speak about any country besides Genovia.
My attention was only so limited as Oslo expressed his fifth manifesto to incorporate autonomy into the infrastructure of Genovia's government.