5

2 weeks later

2 weeks had passed since the priest from the kingdom of Genovia had gone. Since then, my mother had been trying to comfort me, telling me how my life...our lives would change for the better.

And strangely enough, her words rang true.

On my bed were lavishly stitched dresses of every hue. Small baskets of chocolates and Turkish Delights adorned each area of my room.

"The emperor certainly is keen on making favorable first impressions." my mother said aloud as I ran my fingers against the delicate beading of each gown. The display that welcomed my eyes was a fantasy I never thought I would see. Gone were our struggle meals of beats and soiled potatoes. Rich aromas of dried bread and imported meats filled our tiny kitchen.

It was a wonderful life indeed.

-----

Cassandra and I swayed on the set of swings at the pond near the forests of Cedonia. Little children shouted and played in the fresh snow that had just fallen, beckoning the start of winter.

"My father says your father is a fool" Cassandra confesses, kicking her feet to go higher.

"A fool? Do you not see my pretty dresses?" I chuckle, admiring its rich hue; I could not believe my promising change in fate.

"Pretty dresses and opulent corsets mean nothing in exchange for one's sanity and freedom" Cassandra lectures.

"Oh stop it Cassandra; you are just jealous! I will grant you a dress if you ask nicely" I tease her. She halted her swings and stared at me like a loon. I had been unduly optimistic and I knew it bothered her. "Fine...I must admit, I was upset at FIRST at my father's deceit, but when I thought more about it... being a wife to the emperor? It has it perks. To be wistfully taken away and housed in royalty! I am thrilled" I confess truthfully. It was everything I always read about in my stories of princes and kings.

"Who is the emperor you are marrying? I'm itching to know" she asks, digging her feet into a small pile of dirt.

"Emperor Leo, I believe his name was. He is from a long line of royalty and his father rose to Genovia's rule early on. He died just a couple of years ago and he took over" I say, trying to remember all the details from the books I was sent to read.

"Did you say Leo.... as in emperor Leonardo?" she gasps, standing immediately from her seat.

"Yes, that is what my father said his title was. OH! Can you imagine it, Cassandra? Empress Calla and Emperor Leo. It sounds simply magical!!!"

"Emperor Leo? No wonder the priest came! I heard he's a loon. I knew it!!" she scoffs, furrowing her brows with irritation, "You must be an absolute loon to marry him!!!"

"You think everyone is a loon Cassendra" I chuckled, dismissing her skepticism.

"But this time I am sure! It is rumored that Emperor Leonardo is a mad man. He has been through 20 wives and only 2 have lived to tell their tales"

"Oh, you and these petty rumors Cassandra" I sighed, swinging higher to the sky.

"It is true Calla" she protested, stomping her feet to the ground.

"Nothing you say will dissuade me Cassandra. I was chosen by God like the virgin Mary" I smile, shrugging again as I swing higher.

"Sure Calla. Whatever you say" she mutters, gathering her smock and jacket to leave. "I have to go. Mother will be calling for me soon" she frowns, tying her red scarf around her neck; the air was beginning to turn chilly.