57

😔

Calla

I stir awake, shivering in the cool breeze as the curtains let in the fresh night air. I hummed as I see my head rested against Donatello's warm chest. He looks down to meet my eyes and kisses my forehead in love. "You're up"

"What time is it" I groaned, stretching my legs before pushing my lips against his chest.

"It's half past 1"(1:30 am)," he says.

"How long have you been up" I yawned, staring into his eyes again. He shrugged lazily but refused to meet my gaze. His eyebrows were furrowed with caution...it looked like he was deep in thought?

"I couldn't sleep quite honestly," he confesses before bending over to light a freshly rolled cigar.

"You must be immersed in thought?"
He only hums, breathing in the essence of the cigar. "You only smoke when you're deep in thought or when something is bothering you," I say, pulling the blunted ends from his lips.

"I have been trying to piece together the timeline Calla."

"Timeline? What timeline?" I say cautiously. He sounded concerned.

"You say the child inside you is mine, but I was sure we had stopped sleeping together the night..." his voice drifted off.

My heart raced as I heard him piecing the timeline together. He was more than accurate but I would never let him know...I mean I was going to tell him...sooner than never, but I didn't think now was the right time.

"My husband.  I just love the sound of that" I smiled, trying my hardest to change the subject.

"How are you so sure....that the child in your stomach is mine Calla?" He says, finally meeting my eyes. I met his gaze before pulling off the covers and hopping off the bed.

"I mean...does it matter Donatello?" I shrugged, pulling on my nightgown.

"Calla," he says, looking into my eyes with disbelief. Of course, it mattered. He knew it and so did I. I didn't wish to tell him because I knew we would fight again but there was no use in being deceitful so...

I told him everything.

About the baster.
The ice
The alcohol.
He was a bit embarrassed as the tale unfolded but then his embarrassment grew into anger.
My heart pulsed with a fervid intensity the more I revealed my truth.
Now he just looked livid.

"Calla..." he whispered, his eyebrows turned with anger.

"I know Donatello... but I did what was best..."

"You...manipulated me...you...you took advantage of me"

"That's a strong word" I frown, taken aback by his rage. "Come on Donatello. I thought you would find the humor." I reach over to hold his hand. He snatched it away and stood from the sheets, pulling on his pants.

"Donatello" I say his name again, running after him as he makes his way through his room. "Donatello, surely you can't be mad at me....again"

"I told you that day in the room... when you asked me. What did I say?"

"I don't remember..."

He snatched my jaw, forcing me to stare into his eyes. There was a flash of betrayal in them. "Had you already done it?" He stared at me, itching to hear my response. "Tell me!" He shouted even louder.

"Yes." I whispered, my lip quivering with sorrow. He shook his head, retiring to the bathroom to wash his face.

"Donatello. I did it for me....for us...for Genovia." I  followed his trail, hugging his chest as we stood in front of the mirror.