Chapter 29: The Evil Within The Kingdom

What stood before them was a giant creature covered in muscle. Although the form was humanoid it looked far less than a human and more of a monster. Its eyes began to glow yellow and begun to attack the group.

Ace noticed its movement opened his retractable shield from the dungeon. Taking the creature's blow head-on the completely absorbing attack the moment the creature's fist made contact with the shield. The sound of its attack echoed throughout the room as Ace stood unbudged standing firm the moment he blocked the attack. At point-blank range, Darklin let out a breath attack landing a successful flame on its arm. The creature reacted, stepping back and cast a holy barrier around to block further attacks.

"That thing used Holy Magic...? Then the corpse might be from a Holy Knight. Ace, Elora be careful! It's bound to have offensive spells as well!" Razor shouted.

Razor approached the enemy from the left summoning two daggers by his side the creature was aggroed on Ace. When Elora noticed Razor's movement she chanted a spell and summoned an illusion.

"Summon, Copy...!"

The illusion she summoned was a living copy of Razor approaching the enemy from the right. This is the first time Razor got to see Elora's abilities in action and the moment he saw what she did he held a smirk.

"Darklin let's breakthrough its guard." Ace said charging his Dark Nova spell. When Darklin noticed he did the same preparing dark beam.

After a few seconds, both fired their spells simultaneously breaking through the Holy Barrier the creature chanted around itself. The moment its guard was broken Razor and the illusion both synchronised their attacks performing the same offensive art landing the attack on the back of its neck.

The creature screamed in pain and chanted another spell. When Ace noticed he let out a flaming slash trying to disrupt the spell. Elora used this opportunity to cast several magic bolts pushing the creature back. The giant creature staggered from the spells giving it no time to counterattack Ace quickly dashed imbuing his sword he dealt a powerful diagonal slash on its chest following it up with a stab.

However, when Ace's attacks made contact there was still a lot of resistance between his weapons and the creature's skin, even if the weapons were imbued with mana.

The creature stepped back again weakened by Ace's attacks. Its focus was completely on Ace forgetting about Razor and the copy's presence.

"[Unique Art: Whirling Death]"

Razor dealt consecutive attacks, with additional whirling attacks in the process to build his momentum with the copy doing the same. He finished off his art with a cross slash causing the creature to fall on its stomach.

To confirm their kill Ace stabbed it directly into the head where its blood gushed out a blue substance. With added caution, Darklin confirmed that its heat signature is no more confirming its death.

"*Sigh* To think this thing is what Ophelia sensed years ago..." Razor said returning his blades to his magic inventory.

How many people were sacrificed for this thing...?!

Elora looked at the corpse with disgust in her eyes gripping her staff tightly. She understood that the ritual took several lives but was angered by the fact that there may be more lives lost not knowing who may have died for the sake of nothing.

Ace stepped in to inspect the body further, he barely sensed it due to its strength. Although it was a formidable opponent it didn't give the group much of a hard time to take it down.

"Is this the only chamber where they did these revival experiments?" Ace asked.

"No. There's another one underneath the castle but even with you and me, we can't simply walk in you know?" Razor answered.