Chapter 47: Her Resilience

Two days had passed after Olivia's death. Aria has been quiet throughout these two days keeping to herself while everyone around her gave her space. Even though she shares the same room with the other girls she only gave out single phrased responses with an empty tone.

With Olivia's unit entirely wiped out, Aria and her friends are reassigned to Ancel's unit at the front. Due to its big position at the front, the unit is comprised of squads that are equivalent to many of the smaller units positioned on both flanks like the former Olivia unit.

Aria's new squad is under Dave's, comprising of veteran Paladins and Holy Knights to his side. With Aria and her friends being added from the former Olivia unit they're placed in different squads to bolster the missing slots due to the Fallen attack.

Right now the friends Aria has in her squad consist of Alan, Freya, Hilda, Warren and Vella.

Currently, the fortress is waiting for a few more days for the next batch of reinforcements to arrive before departing for the oracle fields. After the Fallen attack, everyone made full efforts to cremate their fallen comrades who had unfortunately perished in the battle. Ashes lifted from the ceremonies, reminding everyone of the unfortunate deaths that happened that night. 

Dave and a few other Holy Knights expressed concerns if this may happen again in the next battle however,  Ancel dismissed these concerning comments due to Regis' orders. Unrest from the army constantly washed over the Creles forces carrying dread after each day. With morale lowered there was nothing they can do against the King's orders.

Aria was quietly walking alongside the courtyard until Dave had appeared in front of her.

"Greetings Aria, I'm sorry about what happened to Olivia. She was... a dear friend of mine. To think we've lost both her and her husband now..." Dave looked back to his memories with them in sorrow.

"It's fine."

"Well, it's a good thing I finally found you today. Here, it's Olivia's spear, yours was broken from that Fallen the other day right? I'm sure Olivia would've loved if you inherited her spear." Dave held out a scarlet spear, its craftsmanship and style differed from many of the other standard-issue weapons.

Aria slowly grasped the spear from Dave, sensing Olivia's presence from it. With a faint smile, she responded to Dave.

"Thank you." 

"No worries. David found that spear in the very same dungeon we've trained in. It won't break as easily as your former one. Olivia was an orphan like you so she doesn't have any other family to inherit her will. But keep this, it's probably better in your hands than someone else." 

Dave handed her a pouch of gold coins and a key to Olivia's house. It was awfully heavy for a small bag and seemed as if Olivia was never one to spend much with her salary.

"...Thank you once again. I'll do my best to serve under you." Aria says with a salute.

"Haha, no need to be so formal with me. When we depart you'll be in a carriage with the other Heroes that's in my squad. I won't be inside so you guys can converse to your heart's content."

"Where will you be?" 

"I'll be at the front. It's kinda uneasy for me to be in a carriage since I'm always on horseback. Till then take care." Dave says with a wave. 

"Right thank you once again." Aria says with a bow.

Dave responded with a smile before heading out. 

Aria looked at Olivia's former spear. She looked for a certain slot that holds a special crystal that bounds her as the owner. Most weapons can be summoned out of thin air using a bounding crystal that links the weapon to its user. When the weapon is not in use, the user can return the weapon in the user's dimensional storage however its capacity varies from each person.