Chapter 32: Her Slow Recovery

A couple of days had passed ever since Ace had rescued Yuni. Razor had heard the news of the slave master's disappearance. Although he knew about this before it seemed that the news had spread amongst the nobles. Everyone had no news or evidence of what happened to Yuni's slave master only knowing that he had plans to auction her off for great wealth. News speculated that someone had killed him and taken Yuni for themselves, however only Ace and his group know what had truly happened.

Ace spent his days helping Elora around the house and practising his crafting skills whenever he could. Although he inherited skills from the magic craftsman Artes. He had no proficiency in the skills themselves experimenting on what he can make. As his first crafting trial, he made plans for a wristbow. It took many hours to perfect the velocity it can fire and the mechanism for it to pop up from the gauntlet it resided in.

"How Interesting, its as if you carry a miniature ballista on your hand," Darklin commented. Intrigued by Ace's innovation.

"I hate to say it, it's still a prototype of a prototype. You watched me fail the number of attempts it tried to fire."

"They were amusing nevertheless but I think you are successful this time."

"Wow... It's as strong as a war bow. You're more innovative than the cait sith. If they saw your little invention they would go crazy." Elora joined in the conversation.

"Cait Sith? Like the mythical cats...?" Ace tilted his head by the new race Elora had told him.

"Yes indeed they're cats... but they're a race of famed crafters. They're creative geniuses that brought inventions like the flintlock pistol and well... many more."

"And what happened to them?" 

"Luckily... half of them managed to escape and... the other half I wouldn't know..." Elora held a troubled expression.

"Huh, how did the first half escape? Are you telling me that there are survivors?"

"Yes, there are. But I wouldn't know where. Their invention managed to let half of the Inera kingdom escape. With the other half that stayed to fight or was unfortunately caught by the Creles kingdom."

"I see. Has Hal thought of trying to find them?" Ace asked.

"Unfortunately he wouldn't know where to start."

Amid their talk. Ace felt Yuni slowly creeping towards the door. Although it was subtle he felt her movements as if she tried to eavesdrop in the conversation. Despite noticing this he didn't want to bother her as she was still recovering from her lack of nutrition.

As time went on, Yuni and Ace would gradually increase their interactions with each other whenever they happened to find themselves within the other's vicinity. Often just greeting each other or saying goodnight when Yuni would go to rest. With Hal's words in mind, Ace can't help but think about her.

When Elora noticed Ace's eyes change direction looking at the door. She smiled and said her goodnight to Ace and Darklin.

'I will do the same too.' Darklin said telepathically.

"Night." Ace replied.

Ace decided to finish the final touches for his new equipment as soon as he finished he took a couple of stretches before laying on his makeshift bed since Yuni had taken the guestroom.

The moment he laid down he began to hear screaming from the guestroom. He stood up quietly walking towards Yuni's door. It wasn't the first time Yuni would scream in her sleep, but Ace found a way for her to calm down during her deep sleep. He entered the room welcomed by the sight of Yuni trying to sleep who kept flailing about.