Chapter 68: Before The Battle

-One day until the Oracle Fields-

For the past few days, Ace had been spending his time marching in his disguised role. He achieved his part of contacting Freya about his situation and objective. The real challenge is when this impending battle starts.

Aria's squad was positioned just in the upper middle of the march. The troops surrounding the team will be the first to notice any stray enemies still lingering away from the fields. They are still weary of the two invading kingdoms who have paved their path toward the Creles Kingdom.

"How rare to see you alone 'Eren.'"

Ace heard a voice from behind. He turned around seeing a smirking Freya, who invited herself to walk beside Ace.

"We're a bit close to the squad to talk like this, don't you think?"

"It's fine. We're a bit far away. Besides, there's too much commotion around us with all these other soldiers chattering, don't you think? Even my hearing won't be able to hear what Aria and Vella are talking about right there."

"It would look strange that you're suddenly talking to me."

"I'll head back soon enough. Today's the last day we can probably talk idly about what's going to happen. What are your thoughts on our survival rate?"

"Aria's the most likely to die. But I'm quite concerned about the others too."

"We can hold our own, don't worry. Thanks to that Fallen, we're much more cautious. We'll make a run for it if things get too dangerous."

"Yet, this squad is close to the frontlines."

"We're like super soldiers. Of course, we'll be at the front. You shouldn't worry. We know how dangerous this battle will be." 

Ace sighed as he pictured every case scenario in his head. He lifted his head high, noticing that Falkes had his attention on the two. 

"Ah, one of your teammates noticed us. I'll head on ahead. Thank you for your pointers 'Eren'" Freya hurried towards Aria and Vella, joining them mid-conversation. 

Falkes slowed down his pace hiding a smirk behind his helmet.

"So, that was Freya, huh? She seems pretty into you." 

"You think?" Ace replied.

"Well, just speculation. Are you into her?" Falkes asks, nudging Ace's arm.

"Not really. Why don't you try talking to her?"

"Nah I know my boundaries. That and I'm feeling kind of out it, just yesterday I was rejected by one of the pegasus riders. Hey listen to this Eren..."

Ace had quickly zoned out, leaving his mind to wander elsewhere and giving faint replies to whatever Falkes had to say. However, it seems that Falkes has plenty to share. 

Unfortunately, Ace had listened to Falke's stories for that entire march. He listened to stories of all his failed flirting attempts with the female knights while the rest of his assigned squad was out in the front, blocked by other groups of soldiers.

Two hours passed with slight signs of former movement from the previous invading Kingdoms. The Creles army was nearing their final camping spot before the big day. Tensions were still high, not knowing if they had to engage in battle at any time. 

Ace was still with Falkes, and after the 20th story, he eventually conversed with Falkes normally and asked him a question. 

"...Falkes, all these women you mentioned are all Creles soldiers. Don't you have a better chance going for a normal girl at the Kingdom?"